Rocky Road MJ Rock Rails Installed

Andy in Pa

After seeing Rocky Roads rockrails in action on a few XJ's, (and with them being one of the VERY FEW that have rock rails for MJ's) I decided to take a chance on these with my MJ. I opted for the rail with the slider, as this is my wifes Jeep and she is only 5'3". The install went reasonably well, the drivers side went right in place after I tweaked the pinch seam a bit, but the passengers side needed minor work with the grinder to get the pinch seam to line up. I have never seen anyone post any info on this site for these, so I thought I would put something together.

Here are a few pics:

They fit fairly well, and I really like how much of the bed is protected too. The rockrails end about 3/8" before the rear fender flares, so most of that bedside is protected.

Enjoy,

Andy

I like how they look. :chillin: If I was going to buy bolt on ones those would be my choice. :D

I'm going with welded in rocker replacements I'm building myself. :brows:

One thing concerns me, if someone hits you broadside or you hit them real hard on the trail could they bend up enough to block the door? :popcorn:

It's kind of like the drip rail. They get bent down in rollovers and fold down enough to block the door from opening. JeepSpeed rigs fold the rail up and weld it to the roof to avoid being trapped inside. :nuts:

I like how they look. :chillin: If I was going to buy bolt on ones those would be my choice. :D

One thing concerns me, if someone hits you broadside or you hit them real hard on the trail could they bend up enough to block the door? :popcorn:

It's kind of like the drip rail. They get bent down in rollovers and fold down enough to block the door from opening. JeepSpeed rigs fold the rail up and weld it to the roof to avoid being trapped inside. :nuts:

I actually decided I wanted bolt-on for this application.

I am guessing that if someone hits you broadside, or you hit hard enough on a trail to bend one of these so far that you can't open your door, you have bigger problems..... :roll: :brows:

A.

I actually decided I wanted bolt-on for this application.

I am guessing that if someone hits you broadside, or you hit hard enough on a trail to bend one of these so far that you can't open your door, you have bigger problems..... :roll: :brows:

A.

A fullsize 4x4 pickup at about 10mph might be enough to cause it, who knows??

Make sure you test them out and let us know how good thet work. ;)

If I was hurt badly I would help to get me out as easily as possible.

It is like having bumpers on all 4 sides. :brows:

Any way you look at it they will help protect you. :D

You never know when a runaway shopping cart might attack.... :rotfl2:

:cheers:

Just when I thought my project didn't need anything else, you post this.

Those are sweet. jamminz.gif

How bout some pic's from the under side. Like attachment point's. And maybe a couple with the door open. Then a few with a couple of bikini clad women hanging on them. Ok maybe I'm asking to much. :D

I do see TNT's concern about if the slider would bend up and block the door. Could these be mounted inverted, slider pointing down. I know, that would decrease side ground clearance but not by much.

How bout some pic's from the under side. Like attachment point's. And maybe a couple with the door open. Then a few with a couple of bikini clad women hanging on them. I'm not asking for much. :D

I do see TNT's concern about if the slider would bend up and block the door. Could these be mounted inverted, slider pointing down. I know, that would decrease side ground clearance but not by much.

A few braces would be enough to keep me from worrying too much.

If there was a few bikini clad women hanging on them I wouldn't have noticed. :chillin:

How bout some pic's from the under side. Like attachment point's. And maybe a couple with the door open. Then a few with a couple of bikini clad women hanging on them. Ok maybe I'm asking to much. :D

Check out www.rocky-road.com They have a few mounting pics, but they are similar to many others on the market for XJ's. They mount to the pinch seam, and also have two tie-ins that attaches to the frame with self tappers. The only difference I see between these and ones for an XJ is the pinch seam rail mounts to the INSIDE edge of the pinch seam, as opposed to the outside, like most of the rails for XJ's. Thats because the back of the pinch seam flares out a bit on an MJ.

The rockrails can be bought without the slider as well if there are major concerns about being t-boned... :roll: The main part is 2"x2" hitch steel.

Check out www.rocky-road.com They have a few mounting pics.

The rockrails can be bought without the slider as well if there are major concerns about being t-boned... The main part is 2"x2" hitch steel.

I looked at their site but they don't show the underside of the MJ. Seeing how it hooks to the pinch seam on the XJ and cab of the MJ, I was wondering about the part that's under the bed. Also I may be wrong, but I though the mount's going to the frame looked kinda of small. I'm sure it is strong enough, however I expected to see a little more beef. They still look great and I'll give them some consideration when the time comes.