engine/trans mount question.

So I got tired of my drivetrain attempting to launch itself out of my Jeep. I bought the motor mounts and replaced the driver's side, but the passenger side presents an interesting problem. How am I supposed to get the bolt to slide out of the mount if the stupid oil filter boss is in the way?! Evidently this is how it came from the factory because I ran into the same problem when I was pulling my "new" engine out of an XJ... Easiest way I can think of is to cut the friggin' bolt and put the new one in the opposite way... sound good?

The other question is about the transmission mount. Where do you guys suggest getting a good poly replacement?

Thanks

I bought my poly trans mount from Quadratec... it ran about $50 if I remember right. It was made by Daystar. Quadratec sells two different ones... make sure you order the 3" (the other is a 1-1/2" and is too small)

I have been pleased with it overall. During installation I had to shave down the fron side of the mount with a sanding wheel in order to make it fit right... other than that installation was straight forward.

we just pulled that bolt on one of TNT's cherokees.

you CAN get it to come out, but you're going to dent up the oil filter. support the motor, punch the bolt through, then you should be able to pull it out while working it at an angle.

hope that helps

Take the oil filter AND the mount off the block. You probably need new o-rings in there anyway, so it's a good excuse to do the job.

No need to do this on the HO engine. The bolt will clear. :brows:

IMO the best engine mounts are the MORE Bombproof ones hands down. jamminz.gif

^^ uh, didn't have such luck with the one on the HO in my garage... maybe just because it was wedged all funky-like halfway out of the bay.

filter off on a HO and you'll have no problem getting it out. use a air ratchet to buzz it back (may need an open wrench slightly smaller than the head of the bolt to apply moving pressure in the direction you wish to go) and buzz it back.

tim's rubbed the filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got my pass. side engine mount on no problem, I was able to take off the filter boss and it went nice and smoooothe :brows: Thanks guys.

Also, I got my daystar mount last night, and it looks HUGE! I'm gonna take a closer look at it tonight, I think it may be the wrong one... Carl'sMJ, you mentioned two different sizes Quadratec offered; well 4wd Hardware didn't offer anything but this size... any reason they would offer one that was over-sized?

Measure the height of the mount (Not including the studs of course). Quadratec advertised mine as 3", but if I recall correctly it measured a touch less. I thought it looked real big at first too, but when you compare it to the height of the stock mount it will make more sense. My daystar was a bit taller but my stock mount was shot and I figured it had been crushed and compacted over the years. Quadratec had actually sent me the other mount originally (1-3/4") and it was WAY to small! No way it would work.

I think I mentioned earlier that you might have to grind down some of the excess polyurethane on the front edge to make it fit right...just FYI. Let me know how your install goes. I had to fight mine a bit. I figured things were worn and had settled over the years which was why it was a bit difficult.