Finalizing my build plans.

TNT

Since my build is going to start very soon and I need to finalize my plans before starting.

I know some people think a front HP D44 is a waste and a D60 should be used. For me I think A HP D44 is the right choice. Here is what I have planned.

I'm getting a complete '87 kingpin axle HP D60 DRW axle for a decent price which I could use for my MJ, but I think it is over kill.. The 1 ton axles weigh too much IMO for higher speed use and ride quality.. I'll just resell it and use the money to beef my D44. I'm sure someone here could find a good home of it. If anybody wants a sweet deal PM me.

Since I want it to be close to street legal, 6" of lift and 35"-37" tires are planned. There will be using quite a bit of JeepSpeed influence in the build.

I'm plating the frame with 1/8" steel and extending the cab 9" to use 2dr XJ doors for more interior space. It will have a complete rollcage that will tie into the front spring/shock mounts, the front bumper, the rear frame, rockrails and rear shock mounts. A custom dovetailed bed will be built and the frame will be bobbed at the rear shackles.

It will have a '95 XJ with a fresh 4.0 that is slightly built. An AW-4 trans and a built/reclocked NP242 transfercase will be used. The XJ will also supply the wiring and creature comforts....

It will be built for speed/ride quality mainly and not as a hardcore crawler, but still want it to be able to hold its own.

This is why I'm following a prerunner type of a build. I need suspension that absorbs as much impact as possible. The plan is a front mid length 3-link with a trackbar. Total travel will be about 14" using high quality shocks. Air bumps will be done at some point.

For now the rear leaf springs with a traction bar and my 11.5" travel RS9000's are the part of the plan for now.

I've been planing a long travel 4 link with coilovers and air bumps in the rear to be done at a later date. About 18" travel coil overs will be sweet.

Hopefully I'll have a 2wd MJ by then to keep the miles off of this one.

I'm doing as much as possible to maximize uptravel. The front inner fenders are being reworked to allow 35-36" tires to stuff fully.

I might switch to Hannemann 6" extension fiberglass prerunner fenders later date. For now it's running stock fenders with the stock flares. They have been raised 4.5" and stretched for a good clearance. Depending on the tire width the tires may stick out a couple of inches. I still need to extend the inner fender so the front end of it curve ends at the core support. I'm splicing it with a second inner fender, changing to a different air filter and relocating the battery.3

I have a '77 F-150 HP D44 axle and a '79 Bronco 9" axle I will be using.

The axles will be regeared to a 5.13 ratio. The front axle has 1/2" tubes, will be narrowed slightly, trussed and have the caster/pinion angles properly adjusted. Warn or Superior axle shafts will be used and it will use the strongest u-joint that can handle full time use. A Truetrac will be used in the front. A high steering true crossover will be used if it will clear at full suspension compression. The Ford knuckles and brakes are being swapped for mid '80 Dodge flat top knuckles and brakes.

The rearend will be shaved, get disc brakes and be trussed. It will also have a pinion guard built for it. I still haven't decided what diff to use it the rear axle yet, so a mini spool will work for me.

With OD and the 5.13 gears the engine will be at under 2600rpm at 70mph with 35" tires. With 36" tires the rpm will be even lower. I'm talking true tire size, some 37" tires only measure slightly over 36".

I'm thinking about relocating the radiator, condensor and trans cooler to the bed. I'm just trying to figure out where I can run the plumbing.

That would allow me to make a new bumper and help balance out the wieght bias

I have the XJ almost totally stripped and should be starting the transformation on the MJ after that. I have a few friends helping me with it.

I plan on making some trips around the country to enjoy the some trails and scenery. I have a bad back so ride quailty is a important concern.

About the time it gets done I will get my probably get my handicap tags... Having a fawked up back sucks.... But the parking will be better...

I plan on updating this post as the build progresses.

My back slows up my progress, but the meds help... This will be my last build I do and think the above plan should fit my needs.

If you made it this far and have any input post it up. :cheers:

ride quality and tire wear with a spooled rear is gonna be an issue. it should ride decent i suppose but turning and snow/ice idk.

overall BADASS build plan. can't wait for action/pics...

oh and i'll set you off nicely with a little

:needpics:

this thread should feel like home now :cheers: lokin forward to it man.

ride quality and tire wear with a spooled rear is gonna be an issue. it should ride decent i suppose but turning and snow/ice idk.

overall BADASS build plan. can't wait for action/pics...

oh and i'll set you off nicely with a little

:needpics:

this thread should feel like home now :cheers: lokin forward to it man.

I have to be able to afford the rear locker so the mini spool is temporary solution. I might have to regear it after everthing else is done. The axles are a big chunk of the budget and since the ratios match they might be last. :roll:

My XJ had a welded rearend for about 10k miles. Tire wear wasn't that bad. :brows:

As for turning in the snow iit's all about the skinny pedal. jamminz.gif