Budget Lift.

I am looking for a little bit of lift from my 88. Eventually i want to go to a 3.5" RE kit but money is tight and will be for quite some time. Could i just use XJ 2" coil spacers and chevy lift shackles to get some lift out of it? Is there another coil i could get from the junkyard that is a direct swap to gain some lift?

I put the add-a-leaf on my truck and have been very pleased with it. I was also going for the 1-1/2"-2" of lift and I like the way the truck sits with it and it really didn't affect the ride of the truck much. However, I would guess that the shackles would be cheaper.

I guess my main question is will the AAL for an XJ work on an MJ?

It will work but XJ packs are MUCH flatter then MJ packs. SO, the advertised lift will NOT be the same, it will be less.

I have bought the drop shackles at any "speed shop" or on EBAY.

CW

i have been planning on doing the same amount of lift in the rear. i called skyjacker direct and the sales rep claims the shackles in their MJ 2" lift pkg is a true 2" and is specific for the MJ, i.e. is not a shared shackle from the XJ kit. i have been meaning to call back and get the measurement from eye to eye. CW and others informed me an MJ shackle is 5.5" eye to eye, so the skyjacker would need to be @9". they don't sell direct, so you have to get a price from a local dealer.

please keep this updated, particularly what the actual lift is that you end up getting.

• 2 weeks later...

just a ideal but,you can take f 150 coil springs and chevy s10 leaf spring(junk yard stuff)and you would have a 3 incher with a pretty good ride,Or put spacer in front and go to a parts store and buy 3 inch lift blocks for around 30 bucks,comes with new u-bolts,still pretty good ride,as of right now i have a homemade kit on my 88,took a foot of 3 inch steel pipe,freebie(local welding shop)cut in half,2 big washers,4 inchers($4.00 at tractor store),welded it to the pipe,and place on top of coil,rear have a 4 inch block,(30 bucks)with shakles($20.00)from parts store,$54.00 plus about 4 hours not bad for a six inch lift :chillin:

Rancho has an AAL kit that fits both the XJ and the MJ. It's listed as a "full-length," but for an MJ it's really more like about a 3/4-length.

The Rancho catalog lists it as yielding 2-1/2" in both the XJ and the MJ. That's impossible, of course. I called Rancho and pestered a nice young lady in the engineering depaertment until she checked with one of the older dudes. The answer was that I was right and the catalog was wrong. 2-1/2" in the XJ and 1-1/2" in the MJ.

Costs about $50. I can probably dredge up the Rancho part number if you can't find a listing.

Rancho has an AAL kit that fits both the XJ and the MJ. It's listed as a "full-length," but for an MJ it's really more like about a 3/4-length.

The Rancho catalog lists it as yielding 2-1/2" in both the XJ and the MJ. That's impossible, of course. I called Rancho and pestered a nice young lady in the engineering depaertment until she checked with one of the older dudes. The answer was that I was right and the catalog was wrong. 2-1/2" in the XJ and 1-1/2" in the MJ.

Costs about $50. I can probably dredge up the Rancho part number if you can't find a listing.

Thanks for the info. My shackles will be in today and the project will hopefully start and finish sunday.