86 Camanche worth?

woody62

The X model was only for the '86 MJ, all chrome front trim, chrome bumpers front and rear. Couple of interior upgrade things that I can't remember right now. I pick up one last year just for the body, and dragged it 260 miles home.

X model kind of common, was the "top" end model. There were only 2 engines that year, the 2.8 V6 and the 2.5 4cyl. Lots of problems with the 2.8 as you'll read in here.

As far as what's it worth??? To me, if there's any rust on it, around $500-750 and that's if it's running. Not a runner as you wrote, $250-350, with minor rust. I offered a guy $250 1-1/2 years ago for a rust bucket, that had a Jasper replacement in it, non-running. He never came thru with the deal, I just wanted the lwb roll bar that it had :brows: The '86 X I bought last year, I bought on e-bay for $252 with the 2.5 motor pulled, and 2wd. Great PA body though.

If he's asking a fair price for it, and the body is good, grab it, and do a 3.4 motor or a 4.0 conversion in it from a XJ donor.

X model kind of common, was the "top" end model. There were only 2 engines that year, the 2.8 V6 and the 2.5 4cyl. Lots of problems with the 2.8 as you'll read in here.

3 engines

2.8 Chevy v6

2.5 AMC I4

2.1 Renault Diesel (turbo and non-turbo) I4

the 2.8 was most common for that year, unfortunately. it's a boat anchor. stout little motor but just no balls and terrible gas mileage.

you'll HATE the motor. I did. my answer was to be a 91-94 camaro/firebird 3.4 v6 complete with the chevy FI system...quite the improvement and the same block so it's almost a bolt-in.

BUT instead I went with a 1996 Camaro 3800 (by Buick) v6, which shares the same bellhousing (gm 60 degree bellhousing) and is a 90 degree v-motor. it involved some customizing of the bellhousing (starter is located opposite of the bellhousing), custom header panel, custom hood latch, custom motor mounts, headers, and down-pipe, and custom engine wiring. It's now a stand-alone engine, meaning I could power it's computer and ground the engine, and run it sans-truck wiring if I wanted.

anyways, value of a 2.8 v6 comanche with a CLEAN body (I mean sans-rust) is still up there round 2000 max (1300-1500 generally) but honestly value depends on location. clean bodies in the rust belt have higher value vs. clean bodies in the south and west.