Comp 68-232-4 cam. Spring issues....

So my engine builder hooked me up with a 1993 freshly milled .40"-over block.  I had him assemble a short block for me and we agreed upon souping it up a bit with a Comp 68-232-4 camshaft.  I had a freshly-done cylinder head at home, a 7120 that I had gasket-matched to my Renix intake manifold. 

Last week I picked up the block and the original plan was to install the cam-matched springs myself.  Lucky for me, I had the cylinder head with me when I picked up the block. 

My builder took a look at the 7120 and found that the Comp cam-matched springs were a bit wider than the stock springs on then 7120 head.  In fact, the width would require that we regrind the spring contact/seat area of the head so that they'd be sit flat.  The stock springs are barrel-shaped and are narrower on the tops and bottoms than the middle.  The upgraded Comp springs are cylinder-shaped and the same width from top to bottom.  This is a problem.  My builder is now convinced that we'd be taking off too much material so closely to the water jacket to make these springs fit.  Additionally, that raised cast area that sits inside the spring would likely need some attention as well.  

I don't have the Springs part number or specs in front of me at the moment so I don't have the part number handy.  They are matched to the cam I've been told.

The next option he is currently exploring is matching required specs (spring tension/travel, etc) with a set of Mopar springs that he's familiar with and is sure would fit the bill.

Dang man, I already have this short block assembled this past week with harmonic balancer, timing cover and other accessories.  I'd really not want to take the necessary parts of to yank that camshaft out. 

The hemi spring will require different valves and some additional milling as well, according to him.

Anybody heard of this issue with the 68-232-4 Comp camshaft, it's matched Comp springs and 4.0 cylinder head design?  This will all put me over my budget for sure.   Looking at about 850 bucks for the cylinder head mods now. 

I can shed some light on this, the 232 cam itself works great and fits as it should but the springs and retainers are meant for the old 4.2 (258) engines and will not fit the 4.0. Yes the seats could be machined but the actual pad size is incorrect as well. So when purchasing a comp cam, don’t get the complete kit unless you’re running the 4.2 engine. There are various other spring options available. The Mopar performance springs are good but can be pricey. Many have also run the rock auto “sealed power” replacement 4.0 springs with that cam successfully. If you machine shop is up for it, there are several LS springs that are good swap candidates if the seats are machined. There are a few other bolt in springs for 4.0’s now as well but they can get pricey.

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

There are a few other bolt in springs for 4.0’s now as well but they can get pricey.

Pricier than $850?

I really appreciate the good input.  I'll continue to snoop around. 

What lift and what spring tension are you looking for?  I think the 232 has probably .430 lift at 1.640. ?? So, stock springs might be able to handle that. I think used a set of Sealed Powers on a head I did. They went well with Chevy Small Block retainers. I'd look at Melling Springs for a '95 XJ. I think they are rated for 85-90 lbs at 1.640. Stock LS springs are rated at 90 lbs at 1.640. Russ Pottenger of Bishop Buel Racing has LS springs that are suppose to be drop in. 

Also, the stock springs are conical. Similar to LS Beehive springs. They sort of self dampen. So, it takes less spring tension to keep the valves from floating. The original stock springs are around 80 lbs at 1.640. I think the latter 2000-up are 75 lbs at 1.640. 

What valves did you use? 

2 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

What lift and what spring tension are you looking for?  I think the 232 has probably .430 lift at 1.640. ?? So, stock springs might be able to handle that. I think used a set of Sealed Powers on a head I did. They went well with Chevy Small Block retainers. I'd look at Melling Springs for a '95 XJ. I think they are rated for 85-90 lbs at 1.640. Stock LS springs are rated at 90 lbs at 1.640. Russ Pottenger of Bishop Buel Racing has LS springs that are suppose to be drop in. 

Also, the stock springs are conical. Similar to LS Beehive springs. They sort of self dampen. So, it takes less spring tension to keep the valves from floating. The original stock springs are around 80 lbs at 1.640. I think the latter 2000-up are 75 lbs at 1.640. 

What valves did you use? 

Here are the cam specs from the company packaging.  Currently I have all stock parts on this head, including the valves. 

cam specs.jpg

OK, as I know it, and mainly from reading :

Your lift at the valve is .462 and .478. The stock springs for an HO (91-95) are maxed out at .450 lift. The part number for the springs you have would help. As above, the Melling 'stock' springs are suppose to be around 90 lbs at 1.640. Another thing to think about is to try a lighter spring retainer on the intake valve. Usually, that is the valve that floats. Also, might depend on what RPMs you plan to run. I'd have to see the specs as to what the RPM range is on this cam. Also, are you manual or Auto trans? OK, I see auto trans. Wondering about what the vacuum will be? I remember .272 for my  351W for an auto. Also, the Melling and Sealed Power springs, are suppose to be a smaller diameter vs stock. That is good, as you'll have less chance of coil bind. 

OK, as I know it, and mainly from reading :

Your lift at the valve is .462 and .478. The stock springs for an HO (91-95) are maxed out at .450 lift. The part number for the springs you have would help. As above, the Melling 'stock' springs are suppose to be around 90 lbs at 1.640. Another thing to think about is to try a lighter spring retainer on the intake valve. Usually, that is the valve that floats. Also, might depend on what RPMs you plan to run. I'd have to see the specs as to what the RPM range is on this cam. Also, are you manual or Auto trans? OK, I see auto trans. Wondering about what the vacuum will be? I remember .272 for my  351W for an auto. Also, the Melling and Sealed Power springs, are suppose to be a smaller diameter vs stock. That is good, as you'll have less chance of coil bind. 

Found this on the net:

'if you search around JeepStrokers.com or NAXJA, I think you'll see they recommend Mopar P5249464 valve springs, Mopar P4529230AB cam, Mopar P4452032 chromoly retainers, P4529218 keepers and Crane bridge shim kit CRN-99179-1. Check with Dino on JeepStrokers.com forum. He's a legit expert in this stuff. Or call Hesco.'

I'll see about the specs on the MOPAR Springs.

Just got off the phone with my builder. He's got some stock Hemi springs that are 113lbs on the seat and 255-256lbs when open.  He's saying that we're safe to prevent cam wear if we stay under 275lbs open.  I'm kind of dumb on all the specifics, so I'm at the mercy of smarter guys like him and you guys.  Its my understanding that we'll be replacing my valves with later 3-groove valves and because the hemis use 8 degree retainers and locks and a much different valve seal design, I'm needing 5 parts in total:  valves, springs, retainers, locks, and valve seals. 

And of course, machining of the head is necessary to make it work.

He's comfortable that with this setup, we'll prevent excessive cam wear and avoid valve float. 

I'll update with more & better, more accurate info as we proceed for those interested in following the thread.

I did check around. I saw 800-4800 RPM for that cam. I like that spec. I could only find around 270 lbs or psi for the MOPAR springs. That might be open. I did find 85 psi @ 1.640 for the Melling springs VS1298. Probably the same for the Sealed Power VS1456. Possibly could be shimmed to 90 psi @1.640. 

I think you'd be OK with the 113 lbs. I am building an LS 5.3 for my 01 XJ. I went with LSexceleration springs at 95 lbs. My lift will be .530 or so. A Comp Cam. A bit different as its a roller cam. I need to check if the heads are done. I'll see if I can measure the valve springs and the valve spring seats on an '00 head out in the garage. 

Also, need to figure out your break ii or run in plan. 

On 5/24/2024 at 12:19 AM, 75sv1 said:

if you search around JeepStrokers.com or NAXJA, I think you'll see they recommend Mopar P5249464 valve springs, Mopar P4529230AB cam, Mopar P4452032 chromoly retainers, P4529218 keepers and Crane bridge shim kit CRN-99179-1. Check with Dino on JeepStrokers.com forum. He's a legit expert in this stuff. Or call Hesco

:iagree: On all the above except for the “call Hesco” part. The Mopar springs have been a go to for strikers for some time now. As for cam wear, the comp cam lines are just plain narrow. You can run the sealed power/melting springs and be good with the 232. The Mopar purple cam referenced above is a great setup as the lobes are full width as stock. Just remember, keep you oil zinc content high, especially during break in. You can either use additive or break in style oil.