Door Lock Cylinder - How to install the Retaining Clip?

I have spent hours trying to get the retainer clip inserted to hold a new door lock cylinder.  Anyone know the secret?  My next step is to remove the little washer that would go up against the door to keep water out - put in some silicon sealant and it may give me some additional room to get the clip in.  The other alternative is to drill a 1.5" hole into the inside door frame to easier access to the clip.  I even took the door off the car hoping it would make it easier.  Suggestions?  Once I replace the driver's door - then I will tackle the passenger door, so I have matching locks.  Then try to1764942307_JeepDoorLock.jpg.c39a65ae1cbe242fea5ee6ae4c760415.jpg find new door latches - the driver's door definitely needs replacing - but that is the one I cannot find.

The issues I see is with that thick black gasket on the lock cylinder. The stock unit has a super thin plastic gasket (only ever seen these on YJ’s) or no gasket (none of my MJ’s ir XJ’s had a gasket for the lock cylinder)

Where did you find the plastic clips?

I am hoping to work on the jeep Sunday evening - I'll remove the outside washer first and hopefully that will provide enough room to get the metal clip in.  But if not - it sounds like the plastic clip is a backup plan.