Caliper knuckle bolt hole stripped

Hey guys I changed my front axle u joint and hub bearing yesterday on my 87 4.0 stock truck. What a job. Lol. Had a few issues on both sides. One side either the dust shield or some axle shaft collar was rubbing so I just left both of them off. I hope that’s ok. It turned good with them off but with them on I couldn’t even turn the hub. The other side a lot smoother. I did have trouble getting one of the caliper bolts out so I got 2 new ones. Upon putting in the new one I noticed the knuckle hole must be stripped. The bottom bolt spinner when bottom out. I ran my tap through it and it snugged it up but it still wants to spin. If really don’t want to replace the whole knuckle. Any tips to lock that in place? Can I put lock tight in it or put in a bigger bolt? Any tips would be great. Thanks guys. 

So on 89 and earlier knuckles, the knuckles do not have any threaded hole for caliper mounting. The caliper is the only threaded part. In 90+ they switched the knuckle and caliper design so the knuckle itself has threaded caliper holes. If you have the later style knuckles and calipers, here is the fix: https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/products/knuckle-saver-kit-jeep-tjxj-style-knuckle-repair-2-knuckles

If you have the earlier style knuckles, it should not be threaded. The bolt goes through the knuckle and into the caliper threaded hole.

I stripped a caliper bolt in my MJ (but my bolts don't' look like yours) and I fixed it using a "Helicoil" thread repair kit.  There is also another type of thread repair called a "Keensert", but they seem to be less widely available.

Compared to Helicoils,  Keenserts are for higher strength applications, as explained here:

https://blog.mfsupply.com/2020/02/21/heli-coils-vs-keenserts-3-differences-you-must-know-part-1-of-2/

In your situation, the application you have does not place any real load on the pins, as there is no real tension on the threads once they are tightened.  The threads only keep the pin from falling out.   That means a Helicoil, if installed correctly, should be more than adequate for the job.

Those are slide pins. If your calipers bolt into the knuckles, then you have the new style knuckles. The newer knuckles also have cast in “wings” that the support the pads. Take a pic and post it and we can confirm. That way we can provide input on how to repair. 

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Those are slide pins. If your calipers bolt into the knuckles, then you have the new style knuckles. The newer knuckles also have cast in “wings” that the support the pads. Take a pic and post it and we can confirm. That way we can provide input on how to repair. 

It’s all back together. Lol. I will see what I can do. 

5 hours ago, Whitaker717 said:

It’s all back together. Lol. I will see what I can do. 

It’s back together with a stripped bolt hole?😳

That might not be a very good idea.

5 hours ago, AZJeff said:

It’s back together with a stripped bolt hole?😳

That might not be a very good idea.

It is. I ran my tap through it and it got pretty snug. I don’t want to crank it down super tight though. 

3 hours ago, Whitaker717 said:

It is. I ran my tap through it and it got pretty snug. I don’t want to crank it down super tight though. 

You might want to define "pretty snug" and "super tight" a bit more to instill more confidence here.

2 hours ago, AZJeff said:

You might want to define "pretty snug" and "super tight" a bit more to instill more confidence here.

I’m not sure how to do that Jeff. If I crank it super tight it will start spinning. But I can get it pretty snug. I think for now I will put some removable lock tight on it. I may do one of those inserts though too. So yo know if they come in different sizes? That bolt is an M10x 1.25 I believe

4 hours ago, Whitaker717 said:

I’m not sure how to do that Jeff. If I crank it super tight it will start spinning. But I can get it pretty snug. I think for now I will put some removable lock tight on it. I may do one of those inserts though too. So yo know if they come in different sizes? That bolt is an M10x 1.25 I believe

So a search on Helicoil on the web, and you will find they come in virtually every standard thread size/pitch, both SAE and Metric.   

17 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

So a search on Helicoil on the web, and you will find they come in virtually every standard thread size/pitch, both SAE and Metric.   

Thanks Jeff I will check it out. Sounds like that may be the way to go. 

1 hour ago, Whitaker717 said:

Thanks Jeff I will check it out. Sounds like that may be the way to go. 

The link I sent above provides the kit. Again, it’s only for the newer style knuckles which I’m 95% certain you have at this point