Not good. Piston damage with pics

About a Month ago, I towed my 89 back to my home 110 miles away.  My Daughter had borrowed and had an overheat event, which I believe probably cooked the head and/or blew the head gasket.  Sure enough, the head was cracked straight across from intake to exhaust valve on the first two cylinders, at which time the shop just stopped checking the rest.  Confirmed cooked head.

At first glance, the block looked ok.  Dropped the oil pan and nothing looked out of the ordinary.  Cylinder walls had no scoring or defects as I casually looked things over.  I proceeded to buy a 2170 cylinder head locally and just finished port-matching with my Renix intake last night.  Had the local shop to check things over on the 2170 and I put a couple hundred bucks in resurfacing (.010") and they went ahead and did a valve job for me.

The plan was to go ahead and double check the block, and give some attention to the head mating surface.  Today, I was horrified at what I saw when I looked down into cylinder # 4.    Can't believe I missed it.  I even shot some WD-40 in each of them and wiped the cylinder walls down when I first opened her up. 

My goal of getting the head back on this weekend shall be postponed.  I can't believe I missed this.  

I rechecked the cylinder walls of this piston and it is smooth as silk, with no visible damage that my eye can pick up.  But then again, perhaps I should no longer really trust my eyes. 

Looks like I'm pulling the block now.  s%@&!

bad.jpg

bad1.jpg

Ooof. Sorry to hear that. You could remove the oil pan, unbolt piston #4 and push it out the top. It looks like a bit of work, but may be less work than removing the entire engine from the engine bay. :sad:

edit: older 4.0L engines do not have the bottom girdle as shown in the below video

4 hours ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Ooof. Sorry to hear that. You could remove the oil pan, unbolt piston #4 and push it out the top. It looks like a bit of work, but may be less work than removing the entire engine from the engine bay. :sad:

edit: older 4.0L engines do not have the bottom girdle as shown in the below video

Wow man, I might just give this a shot.  The thought actually entered my head but I quickly dismissed it as I figured that it wouldn't go so well.  Thanks