AC connector?

I will be working on my interior soon, I’m trying to retrofit AC on my non-AC 1989 Comanche,  already have the HVAC control panel, HVAC box with AC evaporator. As far as I know, the renix computer needs a signal/input from the AC control to kick the engine on high idle when the AC is turned on,  does anyone which wires can be tapped or how to control it? My interior is gutted so i shouldn’t be difficult to do wiring work. I can add a relay for the compressor, an electric fan, etc. My question is if there’s some pre-wiring for ac? I’ve heard that you can tap some wires and i’ve also heard that the whole engine harness has to be swapped for an AC-speciffic harness, I rather add wiring. Has anyone done this? I’ve seen some posts on retrofitting AC but don’t explain the wiring. Read somewhere that this capped off connector is for AC control (see picture), connector is located on the driver’s side near the filter box, it has a cap so I assume it’s all factory. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks 

IMG_8423.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

I did not think there was a high idle option for renix. I thought that cane about with the chrysler control electronics.

Yeah there is. Well more for the 2.5L as there was numerous customer reports about the idle being rough at 750rpm than most like and so there was a special harness made that put a resistor in place to act like a load on the engine basically simulating having an AC. Which I’ll have to use in conjunction with my AC on my 84 XJ

4 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes that’s the AC wiring that’s capped off. 

Good to hear, do you know what connects to what? I'm assuming one of the wires is the input for the AC compressor and another for the power fan? I’m assuming there’s another wire under the dash somewhere that connects to the dash control panel, I haven’t started reassembling the dash/interior at this point 

25 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

Good to hear, do you know what connects to what? I'm assuming one of the wires is the input for the AC compressor and another for the power fan? I’m assuming there’s another wire under the dash somewhere that connects to the dash control panel, I haven’t started reassembling the dash/interior at this point 

Are you working with a 4.0L or 2.5L?

Ok had to make sure. From what I connected, mine was to the compressor, the dryer pressure switch, relay and ground as I have a 2.5L. 4.0L with AC is a lot easier to find and should be able to find the harness that plugs in there. 

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Ok had to make sure. From what I connected, mine was to the compressor, the dryer pressure switch, relay and ground as I have a 2.5L. 4.0L with AC is a lot easier to find and should be able to find the harness that plugs in there. 

Do you recall which wire color goes to where? I don’t mind installing a relay, running wiring etc, I think it’ll be easier than finding a harness. Did you have to make any wiring modifications in the cab/dash? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find information on the wiring aspect. Thanks

39 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

Do you recall which wire color goes to where?

I dont. It was a NOS plug n play wiring harness.

39 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

I think it’ll be easier than finding a harness.

It will be for the 4.0L. Many have parted out Renix jeeps and shouldnt have an issue finding such as well.

40 minutes ago, Elwiscon said:

Did you have to make any wiring modifications in the cab/dash?

Yes. You need the AC deck, wiring harness for said deck, vac harness for said deck and an HVAC air box.

Check out the 88 electrical manual in the DIY.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

I don't. It was a NOS plug n play wiring harness.

It will be for the 4.0L. Many have parted out Renix jeeps and shouldnt have an issue finding such as well.

Yes. You need the AC deck, wiring harness for said deck, vac harness for said deck and an HVAC air box.

I have the AC hvac deck, the HVAC box and the HVAC deck harness, I think i have the 89-specific electrical manual. I just need to figure out the wiring part, the under hood components i’ll be buying new, as they’re available, not worth using older parts with the r12 refrigerant. 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

I don't. It was a NOS plug n play wiring harness.

So ne need to run any additional wiring to the renix computer for the high-idle mode? Thanks 

15 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

No not at all. Just need the harness and it will know AC is there when it senses the load on the engine.

Thank you, I’ll look for the harness