1997 and later windshield rubber trim

Hello, once again i have a question. Going down the freeway yesterday i had the windshield right trim blow off. I believe someone posted something about going to a later rubber trim 1997+. I know the w/s needs to be removed to do this but how about the fitment to my 1988 MJ. Do the clip tabs need to be cut off or can they stay. Is it even possible, with good results. i only have the oem upper and lower trim pieces left no side pieces now. Thanks Paul

I've heard both that the little metal pins need to go and that they can stay. :dunno:  I'm thinking it might have to do with different brands of rubber trim, but it could also be installer error or something else.  so I cut them off just in case for the 88 I'm working on when we got the glass replaced. 

do not expect to reuse your current windshield.  the old glass is INSANELY easy to ruin when you try to remove it.  bonus points is that the rubber trim is free if you order new glass for a 97+ XJ. :D  super bonus points is that you get brand new glass to see though! :D  :D 

do plan on finding surface rust where the urethane needs to bond to the steel.  very common and the glue won't adhere properly unless it's addressed. :(  if it's too cold where you are for painting, I'd probably wait until spring to do this job. 

4 minutes ago, GonzoTheGreat said:

I cut off the little nubs so I could get the wire wheel in easier to clean the rust, but it doesn’t have to be done for clearance. There’s at least twice the space needed around them. 

that was my exact thinking.  but ask around enough and you'll find guys that swear the nubs cause wrinkles or bumps or something in the gasket.  :dunno:

Thanks, guys, for the answer. I had done some web searches and found out the glass is the same but seems no one mentioned the nibs. Did see some complaints about the gasket quality though. I think I'll chance it and leave the nubs on in case the next owner wants it to change it back orig. Sometime after the holidays i will get it the w/s replaced along with the gasket set up. Thanks again Paul