My trail spares & tools

Htchevyii

Here's my spare parts and tools that I carry on long trips and to remote areas. Lots of hardware, various hose connectors and compression fittings, a good TPS, CPS, relay, ETC. Also a spindle nut socket and some bearings and parts for the Warn hub conversion. All of the tie rods except for the long drag link end on the Comanche take the same tie rod end, so I carry one. Not pictured are the fluids, tire plug kit, compressor a jumper pack.  I also carry a bottle of K seal, (head gasket sealer that doesn't require antifreeze to be removed).  On a long trip, I'll usually throw in a prybar and 1/2" socket set from my shop tools. I've still got a little room in the parts bag, but the tool bag is full.

Probably the most used parts have been nuts and bolts and zip ties. I lost a track bar bolt by Ballarat @ Death Valley. The guys at the trading post let me dig through a bucket of bolts and I red Lock-tited a 3/8" bolt into the 10mm  threads. Last trip I replaced the fan relay, (could have just used the horn relay). I've also had a mouse chew through 2 spark plug wires while camping in the desert. I think leaving the hood open is supposed to help, but then anyone driving by thinks you are broken down.

20230708_155155.jpg

20230708_155231.jpg

20230708_155215.jpg

20230708_155243.jpg

20230708_160402.jpg

20230708_160739.jpg

20230708_160743.jpg

20230708_161113.jpg

Very thorough selection. Good call on the extra coil and belt.

I went ahead and grabbed this scissor jack this weekend:

20230708_185735.jpg.1b7911660d45850c4e3f13c28c3de1f6.jpg

It's a M998 Humvee Jack. Rated for 3.5 tons and made in the states. These were included with every AM general humvee sold. They are quite stout in comparison to any consumer scissor jack and should not mind any temperature fluctuations. The "8 ton" Big Red jack I originally intended to use as an emergency jack failed on first use. Incredible. This looks like a lot better alternative. The base is a good size as well, so it should be a lot more handy in emergency situations.

I just finished cleaning it up, greasing the joints, main cog and threaded blocks. I may just end up making an adapter that goes to 3/4 drive instead of using the included handles. I plan on machining a larger plate for the top and using a interference fit, this way the adapter never wiggles loose. I just have to find a source of good quality jack pads and implement them into the top design. If I can't find a good source, I may just use a good quality hockey puck from a major brand that won't vanish overnight.

Edit: The military likes to use CARC paint on vehicles intended for overseas. It's possible that the jack handles were painted with it, but it is unknown. CARC is unfortunately known to cause harmful health effects when sanded. If you do try to de-rust parts like these, wear some kind of respirator while wire wheeling.

That's a good idea. Let us know how it works out.  I carry the factory jack and a high lift, but I've never been thinking about trying one of these. I like the large pad and how you can adjust the height with the jack stand. Once in a while my wife takes it out by herself and I need to find a safer option than the high lift.

Screenshot_20230709-093628.png

Nice. It has a pretty decent lift range. Minimum is 6.75in. Maximum is 19.75in. I just lifted the back of my '97 astro and let it sit for a few hours. It seems to be pretty decent so far. I'm going to paint some parts of mine once the weather stops being 90% humidity :crazy:

20230708_180703.jpg

Going to add to the discussion on jacks, I just got a flat on a buddy’s truck, and learned the factory jack wasn’t able to lift the truck high enough to get the spare onto it. And I didn’t learn this until after getting the flat off, so I had to put it back on to reposition the jack to somewhere other than the factory point to get the spare on.

Stock height 2018 Colorado on factory wheels and tires.

It’s possible the location I picked to change it wasn’t level enough, but that’s definitely an obstacle you’ll run into off-road, and I was just on the side of a provincial highway (albeit a gravel highway).

I’ve also encountered factory lug wrenches that don’t work due to replaced lug nuts with a different sized hex. 
I guess don’t assume your factory tire change equipment will work for you. Especially with lifts or tires. Try out your tools before relying on them.

Also of note, hydraulic jacks don’t always like being tipped over from their standard position. Keep that in mind when storing one. But if it does happen unless the oil leaks out you can usually bleed the air out of a hydraulic jack by opening the lowering valve and pumping it a bunch. You can also buy jack oil at most parts stores.