Wheel bearing replacement

Well I finished putting all of the parts on this afternoon and wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I am glad that I went with the higher quality ball joints since that is one job I NEVER want to do again. But the truck goes down the road and turns so smooth now. I have never seen u-joints that bad, one the caps didn't even have bearings left in it :eek:

I use the non-greaseable joints and hand grease them with the good stuff before assembling.
I got the greasable ones but they have a wierd zert that my grease gun doesn't fit. normally they have like a nipple sticking out, but these are a flat head screw with a small hole recessed within. Does anyone know what kind of tip I need to grease these?

yeah, just push it into the center of the fitting while pumping. Use a rigid line on the output of the gun, not a flexible one or else you're gonna need three hands ;) The gun will be hard to squeeze, but it will flow grease thru the needle tip, trust me.

Another alternative, if you don't want to buy the needle fitting (but it is a good tool to keep in the box), is unscrew the flat fitting and insert a nipple fitting and use the regular tip on the grease gun. When the joint is packed, swap the flat fitting back in.

Jeff

Another alternative, if you don't want to buy the needle fitting (but it is a good tool to keep in the box), is unscrew the flat fitting and insert a nipple fitting and use the regular tip on the grease gun. When the joint is packed, swap the flat fitting back in.

I already tried that and the only regular zert I have is a different thread size. I really don't mind buying a needle tip, I could use it to get to the u-joint on the drive shaft and a few on our Ford 8N. The hand held grease gun I have is a rigid neck, so that is no issue.

Edit: I got a needle tip at autozone for $3, those things are gonna get greased all the time 8)