No Start after fuel injector install

2 hours ago, zomeizter said:

If you know for sure there is no fuel delivery/pressure but you hear the pump operate, it's time to pull the pump out and inspect it. My XJ did something similar to your situation, one day it just wouldn't start but I could hear the pump operate and a fuel pressure gauge at the rail port read zero pressure. The issue was a clogged fuel pump strainer, 5 bucks and a few beers later the XJ was back in business...

That would be great! I have other options to exhaust!

On 3/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, mjeff87 said:

Like Pete mentions, pour a small amount of fuel into the TB and see if it fires (or a very short blast of starting fluid).  Are the plugs wet after cranking like that?  

Assuming you got all the injector wires hooked back up to the correct injectors.  Each plug has a different wire color so you can check.  The harness pretty much stays in place once disconnected, but the middle cylinders can get messed up/swapped if you're not careful.

#1 - light blue

2 - light green

3 - tan

4 - yellow

5 - white

6 - brown

Checked this today. They are all in proper order.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:44 AM, cruiser54 said:

does it even TRY to start?

Unplug and plug back in your CPS. Make sure the line from the throttle body to MAP sensor isn't messed up. 

Both CPS and MAP seem to be in order.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:45 AM, Pete M said:

if it tries to fire, that means the problem is in the fuel delivery.  if it doesn't try to fire, that means spark is gone.

So, I do have fuel coming out of the rail pressure valve, but it's not under pressure. Just trickles out. Earlier today I got a turn, turn, turn, clunk, turn, turn, turn, clunk, turn, turn, turn, clunk. Mean anything to you? I had to stop because I have run the battery down. Hooked up a charger.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:34 PM, Pete M said:

fuel regulator is bad, fuel filter is clogged, maybe something has gone wrong in the tank.  :dunno:

Pete and anyone else who may be able to assist.

Because I was curious, I cleaned and refurbished my stock injectors, reinstalled them and nothing happened. Still no start. However, there was fuel in the rail even though there was basically no pressure. I also tried spraying starter fluid into the TB while the wife cranked, but no start. Just turns over.

Before I start throwing more parts at this thing, I figured I would post my latest attempts and see if anyone has any other ideas.

If I have fuel in rail, but no pressure, is that the pressure regulator or the pump?

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I would check for decent flow at the pump or at the filter. 

The filter is new. Do you mean disconnecting the filter > key on > look for gas squirting out at disconnected line?

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

yes.  :L: 

I'm just gonna whole-enchilada and drop the tank and replace everything! Fuel pump, hoses, rusted clamps and bolts, gas tank bearings and fuses, refrigerator magnets, fuel pump linkage, grease mounts, fuel filter backwash and encabulator valves! If she doesn't run then, don't know what I'll do. :brickwall:

Okay, this situation may be more difficult than I first thought. I can't find a fuel pump assembly for an 88 MJ Renix. I have contacted MTS, but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone know where to get one that doesn't require modification to fit? I really want to go the plug-and-play route.

10 minutes ago, NC Tom said:

Okay, this situation may be more difficult than I first thought. I can't find a fuel pump assembly for an 88 MJ Renix. I have contacted MTS, but haven't heard back yet.

Anyone know where to get one that doesn't require modification to fit? I really want to go the plug-and-play route.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265058216240?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Db4ac0a01505f4eeab5cdfc41023eebee%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D372766136008%26itm%3D265058216240%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb%26brand%3DDelphi&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Found this on ebay

2 minutes ago, NC Tom said:

Thank you, sir. However, my gut, and the reviews suggest that it's a piece of . . . well, it may not be good quality.

Yea I would wait till MTS replies to you, you could always put an ad in the wanted section. Maybe someone has a spare.

For anyone who may be interested, the MTS part number for a fuel pump and sending unit is: JPSU-6P4.0 (COMANCHE MJ 1987-1990)

MTS charges $166 plus shipping. I found the same part at justgastanks.com for $143.57 plus shipping.

• 3 weeks later...