My 88 Sportruck project

Well as some of you know I have picked up a few MJs here as of late. Currently there are 5 of them in my yard. Not to mention the 2 XJs and a ZJ coming this weekend

About a month ago bpm4x4 told of a semi local MJ for sale that was without a motor. I drove the hour to go look at it and snagged for 200 cash. It was a very clean 2.5 4 speed 2wd. The old 2.5s head gasket gave up the ghost at 79000 miles. He had started a motor swap but lost interest after buying a full size chevy truck.

I drug it home a couple days later and brought in the shop. I starting removing the flares just to find a spotless body under them. Thats when my wheels starting turning on this truck. I have decided to go through the work of swapping in a 4.0 HO AW4 and a NP242. The rig search was on. I picked up an 89 limited for a song about an hour from here with a bad tranny. It has donated its front axle, seats, and other interior parts that are gray and fit in the MJ.

Parts are starting to come together in the last couple days though. Rockhound and I have worked a deal on a 93 ZJ that is rough at the least. He needed misc. this and that from and I am getting a strong running 4.0 from it. I also picked up a 91 Limited XJ with new 31 inch tires on it and budget boost. They 91 will be donated its wire harness and the AW4 and 242 and alot of other misc. parts needed to make this go.

So not only is this a 4.0 HO swap it also an auto conversion and four wheel drive conversion. Lots of work but in the end I will have the truck I want.

Here are some starting pics.

Here is a general run down of what I am going to do

3 inch lift with 31s on 15x8 soft 8s

Motor and tranny swap

4x4 conversion 242/HP30/8.25 sua

Change the interior to gray (I hate the burgandy)

Add the options I think it needs, AC, tilt, cruise, and so on.

I will be posting some more pics in the next couple days as it is in the shop getting something done finally.

:popcorn: we'll be watching, and pointing and directing if necessary ;)

sounds like a good project.

Or is it that we'll be watching, pointing and laughing if necessary?

Don't mind me, I'm on my 3rd Red Bull today.

jamminz.gif :D remember the CW thread then eh? :rotfl2:

Yeah its gonnabe fun. This is my second 4wd conversion but my first 4.0 swap. Been working on cars for 10 years for a living so it shouldn't that hard. Waiting on my coils to show up so I can slide the 30 in the front. My motor donor will be here Saturday. Rockhound is driving the ZJ up here. Goin to pick up the parts 91 XJ tomorrow after work.

I got the bogus seats ripped out last night and swapped on the 31s. Looks better already. Also got the vinyl ripped out. Started bolting on the auto and t case shifters and linkage. Renixpower is comin out this weekend to help pull the dashes and swap over them along with the AC stuff. Hoping to fire this thing up early in Janurary.

Pointing and laughing is completely acceptable also. I encourage and prolly start it first. 8)

Yeah thats my 43 GMC 6x6 2.5 ton. 216 inline 6 w/a 5 overdrive and still tops out at 38-39 MPH. Its big and ugly but useful to move about anything with. I plan on painting it this summer in drab olive with black feners and wheels. The paint that is on is from a prior owner using it in parades. My dad bought around 3 years ago and used around his place from time to time. After he passed away last winter my mom told me to get it out her yard. She hated it when dad brought it home. I think it is unique and it means alot to me also.

:cheers: to old iron! I "adopted" a castaway, decrepit M543 5T wrecker when I got to my army reserve unit way back in the day. Noone wanted anything to do with it, so it became mine. Incredible vehicle, and all the deuce and a half boyz never minded me dragging their broke down asses down the road, even if it was at 30 mph.... :D

Jeff

Pointing and laughing is completely acceptable also. I encourage and prolly start it first. 8)

No that started when I brought home that POS of a ZJ that is going to be the donor. I mean to tell you now this thing is a winner it is green with what seem to be a light green spray can over the rust. The muffler well lets say it not there along with the back glass. Also i drove this thing 20 min home at 3:00 in the morning in 20 degree temp the people around here love me. O did I mention the back bumper cover thing fell off while I was drive it home. Plus it has the best bling bling 3 gold snowflake wheels and a donut. But it runs and drives so yeah it is a fun little ride.

Well I got the 4.0 pulled outof the ZJ today. What a pain in the @$$. I have pulled lots of 4.0s out of XJs but never again will I pull one from a ZJ.

Anyways while I got it out I am gonna replace the rear main and swap the oil pan out for the one off the XJ. The ZJ has the oil level sensor for the VIC. Need to swap the oil filter housings so new Orings will go in as well as a valve cover gasket. New water pump and 97-up heater hoses and the list goes on. Gonna swap intakes and install my APN header that I got for RenixPower along while ago.

Planning on pulling out the motor/tranny/t-case out of the 92 XJ limited donor tomorrow. Gotta pull this one the nice way since I am using this harness for the swap. After its on the floor I will prolly start in on the dash. What a fun christmas day ahead of me tomorrow.

I have two questions I wanna throw out there for you guys perspective on. While I have this engine out and on the stand should I throw a head gasket in it? I would only take about 30 mins now about 25 bucks for the gasket. Also I am thinking about ditching the mechanical fan for a couple of electric ones. Has anyone elso on here done this before on a MJ with a 4.0. Let me know what you think. Later

I got some progress pics here

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Here I got my Soft 8s and some 31s on it. I got some different tires for it on my donor 92 XJ. It came on brand new 31s.

Image Not Found

A shot of the stripped former 2.5 engine bay.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Here is the oily 4.0 I yanked out of the POS ZJ. Planning on a good cleaning followed by some gaskets and seals. Then to top it off with a Krylon Black rebuild. Plus maybe a 99 up intake and my APN header.

Image Not Found

Here is the XJ donor. Sitting on my hoist was planning to get motor and such out today but Christmas stuff took to much of my time. Oh well maybe tomorrow night.

looks good and I don't have to worry about that damn ZJ running out of gas on me again. And thank for the ride back home but next time we even think about getting snow my a$$ is staying home.

Looks good guy as always you have fun with that 4.0 swap. :roll:

I had the afternoon off today plus the next 3 days. So I went out into the shop and started stripping down the XJ a little farther RenixPower was out last night till I don't what time gutting interior stuff for his buddies XJ.

I got the dash almost out and the engine wiring harness needs about twenty minutes more of my time to be free from the XJ. I also started removing the ABS wiring from the harness. Sure am glad I have alldata for wiring diagrams.

Earlier in the week my Mopar perches for 8.25 showed up, S10 leaves are outof a parts truck for my add a leaf, and my 3 inch coils arrived also. Last but not least a friend came home from Colorado, he works at a you pull it yard there. I scored my ZJ rear disc brake brackets for 25 bucks. A local JY has the calipers for a whopping 20 for the pair.

So all the parts are gathering quick about time to make an MJ what they all should have been.