Manche on 40s

New to the MJ but have built many XJ’s. I picked up a ‘88 Pioneer. Really good rust free shape. Plans are Iron man 4 link front and rear. Coilovers front and rear on 40’s. I really want to go diesel and have researched TDIs but I’m afraid I’ll be disappointed with the power? Really want a hemi but don’t want to chop up the firewall. So LS? Or TDI any input from people who have done it? 

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard the TDI is a fun little torque machine but pretty disappointing for almost anything else (especially for the weight of it).  You looking for power to spin the wheels for mud? or daily driving?  If just for rock crawling, deep gearing will get you just about everything you need even from the stock gears (got a friend with a nissan who does just fine with 40s on a little NA 4 banger but his top speed is 45mph)

For others who have done the diesel route...some reason my brain thinks @krustyballer16 had a diesel comanche...4BT?

LS is more work and money than anyone claims it is...lots of people start it and then give up partway through.  However, the upside is there's very little fab needed, just a lot of work and money to make it fit and make everything work well (if you have strong fabrication skills, you can save some money here in trade for a lot of time designing parts).  @Limeyjeeper has probably the cleanest install of anyone I've seen for a LS.

There's a great LS XJ/MJ group on facebook that has a lot of people who have done it and have extra info as well...some options I've never seen mentioned elsewhere even for mounting the engine lower and fitting a truck intake.