AX-15 Swap (T-Case input gear question)

Hello, I am doing an AX-15 Swap on my 1988 Jeep Comanche, and have a question for the transfer case input gear specifications. 

My truck came stock with the Peugeot, and I know the stock Peugeot has a 22 teeth input gear, and the AX-15 has a 23 teeth input gear. 

I have two transfer cases, one for each transmission, can I just take the 23 tooth input gear on the AX-15 T-Case, and slap it on the Peugeot T-Case? 

The T-Case for the AX-15 is very rusted and my be irreparable.

TL;DR can I put an AX-15 T-Case Input gear in a Peugeot T-Case?

Thank you for your help! 

You should be able to take your input shaft out of the AX-15 231 and install it in the BA10/5 231, but you will have to take both t-cases all the way apart. What do you mean the t-case is rusted? Please post pictures of the t-case.

@89 MJ

You can't see it very well (AX-15 transfer case pictured below), but that is as far as the tranny ship said they could get it to come, I'm going to grab some PB Blaster and WD-40 to see if I can get that apart, if I can salvage it that would be awesome, but I'm doubtful lol.

In person, you can obviously see there is a lot of rust on everything, but my phone lacks the ability to capture it because I live in Arizona and it's always bright as'. 

16700190870207878076935878607255.jpg

Where at in AZ? 

I think you’ll be able to salvage it, but if you can get it apart and post more pictures, that would be great. 

Regardless, you should be able to use the 23 spline input shaft in the 21 spline t-case to make it 23 spline. 

@89 MJ I live in pheonix right now, hopefully by next week, I'll be back in California though, because that's where my truck is.

I would be very happy if I can salvage it, thank you for the hope.

Hopefully I can finish the swap with no troubles, and without breaking anything lol. I'll keep this thread updated if I get more information, thank you

Hmm, aluminum doesn't rust so the case is just dirty, but that output shaft looks blue which means that dark coloring was more likely from heat. Could be lack of fluid in that case.

In the photo, it looks like you're trying to remove the tail housing. It's held in place with a lock ring, is that removed?

As long as your AX15 231 is from pre 1996 then you are good. There are two different sized input bearings and corresponding shafts (.940, .630). You need to swap the input bearing too if the TC is from 1996+

• 2 months later...

@howeitsdone so, I finally got a chance to work on it, I've been moving around a lot.

The tranny shop were absolute mongaloids and they actually twerked the bearing in the rear output shaft, so the cover was unable to be removed. 

The rust on the steel components made it difficult, and they probably just try to muscle through it and ended up getting it stuck. I soaked it in PB Blaster for a few days, and beat on it with a rubber mallet until it came off. 

That tcase is definitely junk.  I wouldn't use anything out of it if at all possible, and certainly not the input gear.

23 spline input gears are pretty easy to find.  You can use a Jeep or a Dodge one.  Just be cognizant that the gear cut changed in 94/95 and you have to use the correct one or the planetaries will explode.

And a slight correction to your OP, the Peugeot (and early AW4, and 2.5L and 2.8L transmissions) use a 21 spline output, not 22.  In case you wind up resorting to counting teeth on junkyard tcases.  In your case it's probably easier to just find a whole tcase.  It doesn't have to be from an XJ, later YJ and TJ options work too, along with probably many others.  I see them for sale for $100-200 regularly.