Front axle/Front suspension noise? plz help

I was cruisin the street last night and i noticed a kind of rubbing and grinding noise in the front of my truck. Took a look and did not see any sign of rubing or anything from what i could tell. Kept driving and it progressivly got worse and seemed to slow the truck down a little every time I heard it, like somthing is rubbing that really aint supposed too. I amd gonna check the front axle fluid level, carrier and gears inside if they are seizing or anything, check transfluid, and just work my way from there. Any other suggestions because I have no idea what is making this noise, its either internal or something i couldnt see?

Noises can be damn near impossible to track down. More often than not you stumble on the cure...

That being said, we need more information from you.

1) When did this happen?

1a) turning?

1b) Slowing down or speeding up?

1c) Going over a bump?

1d) Going over a bump while turning?

You get the idea...

One other thing, what the last thing you did or had done to the truck?

CW

Man it just happens when i drive. I think when i was muddin a week ago I fell into a water hole and had the water up to the bottom of the mirrors. So my guess is that water creeped its happy @$$ in there and now its screwing up a bearing like you guys said. But the noise just happens driving period. So I'm gonna take it apart today and just start process of elimination. Check the brakes, bearings, axle shafts, carrier, etc. until the problem is solved. Thanks for the ideas.

Well any way I started taking the stuff off. Is it bad to have half eaten BB's fall out when you take the rotor off, thought that was a clear sign. Well now I don't have a socket big enough to get the adjusting knut off, any ideas, i don't need a special tool do I? Another thing would it be a good idea to change all the oil seals around the bearings?

its a 36MM socket you can get from autozone...yea that pretty much means that the unit bearing or wheel bearing is toast...i would check the wheel bearings first then check the back of the unit bearing and see if its grinding...if so just replace it with a new one...can't be rebuilt..either a J/Y replacement or buy new

Yeah I went to auto zone last night to get that 36mm, checked the price of the hubs and they were outragious! $165 for expensive and $100 for oe spec ones. I was gonna go through quadratec and order some but I need these fixed by friday morning.

yeah then i found out that mine were not tapered, they're ball bearing, my dad changed the axle when he did the engine swap. So no they becam 150 a piece so 300 total, man i am now broke. Oh any specific technique to get the nut with the cotter pin off mine is seized pretty good and it its kinda got me confused and i don't want to break any thing.

Clamp the stub shaft in a good bench vice and remove nut with impact OR braker bar and LONG extention bar.

Of coarse you need to remove cotter pin and guard first...

CW

should be able to bust it with a 30" breaker bar... i'm scrawny as hell and i popped mine loose, if its still on the truck leave the tire on the ground in park or gear whichever and try to get it loose

best way is with an impact... why waste energy?

36mm socket bTW

well i blasted away, everything was just coming off effortlessly ..........until i got to the hub its self. man when they put them on there, THEY REALLY PUT THEM ON THERE! so I'm taking a quick break then I'm gonna go back out and try to get it off.

Yeah I was trippn out, but i called a a fellow comanche owner, and he said the same thing. His truck got into JPmagazine's May 2007 issue in jeep shots. They called it Hawaiian MJ if anyone wants to take a look at it. He was hella stoked when he found out.