How do i find out the gearing on my axle?

Secure the truck so it can't roll away on you, put the trans in neutral and jack up one of the rear tires. Make a mark on the driveshaft that you can see so you can count it's revolutions and then watch it carefully as you spin the one tire 2 complete revolutions. the number of times the d-shaft spins will tell you the ratio. Just over 4 times would be 4.10, just over 3 times would be 3.07, etc. If it turns out you have a posi in the rear axle, you'll need to jack up both rear tires and do the same thing, but this time only spin the tires around once.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if my brain got that backwards at all. :D

There may be a metal tag bolted onto the back of the housing with the cover and Dana axles usually have a number stamper on one of the axle tubes. Most people can't find that number but it's there, check the tube on the right side it's more than likely there.

The metal tag has the ratio the axle assembly had from the factory, it is wrote as 355 for 3.55 and so on...

4.0 with AW4? Most likely 3.55

4.0 with manual (AX15 or BA10/5)? Most likely 3.07 :cry:

The only sure fire way to definately find out is to pop the cover and spin the ring gear around until you see a bunch of numbers....at the very end of the string, the tooth count of the r&p is stamped into it.

Plus, you need to change your diff fluid anyway, right? :D

Jeff

edit: like such....this is a 3.07 set from a Dana 44 (which is now under my MJ, but it ain't 3.07 anymore...)

HTH

Image Not Found