Question for anyone with 5.5" RE front coils....

I need a measurement of them installed.

Just not to fenders, as mine are chopped. :D .. Some place that will be consistent between both our rigs...like maybe the top of the coil plate (On axle) where bump stop hits) to the upper shock mounting point.

Mine are 4.5" coils of unknown manufacturer. they are a bit soft and flex very well, but I want some a bit stiffer. i think the RE's will fit the bill. Need /want another set of front coils but want to be sure they do not end up being taller than the rear is... BTW, if you don't remember, I am running 4" Rusty's leaves SUA along with 1" lifted shackles.

THANKS,

CW

I will very likely be getting rid of them.

My complaint is they are quite soft for the road. Unsure what they are, but they do flex like mad!!! jamminz.gif :brows:

Its no rush, I ain't gonna be swapping them in the cold, that's for sure!!!!

But need to correct this, its a drag going SO SLOW over speed bumps!!! Drove the TJ a couple days and that can go over speed bumps like its a pebble in the road!! Of coarse it rides like a tank, the MJ is a cadillac on the road!!! So its all relative I guess....

Thanks Stumpy, when ever you get a chance that would be GREAT!! BTW< if you see somewhere that's a better place to measure from that doesn't include sheet metal, shoot me the numbers there as well.

You rock man!!!

CW

My complaint is they are quite soft for the road. Unsure what they are, but they do flex like mad!!! jamminz.gif :brows:

But need to correct this, its a drag going SO SLOW over speed bumps!!! Drove the TJ a couple days and that can go over speed bumps like its a pebble in the road!! Of coarse it rides like a tank, the MJ is a cadillac on the road!!! So its all relative I guess....

Thanks Stumpy, when ever you get a chance that would be GREAT!! BTW< if you see somewhere that's a better place to measure from that doesn't include sheet metal, shoot me the numbers there as well.

You rock man!!!

CW

A good set of shocks like Bilstein's would also solve your problem. I have some Rancho RS9009's on mine and on one its like a Caddy and on 5 it's like empty 1 ton truck. About 3 is perfect. Bilstein's are supposed to be way better. I'm going with some bypass Bilstein's when the rest of my rig is done and I can afford them.

But need to correct this, its a drag going SO SLOW over speed bumps!!! Drove the TJ a couple days and that can go over speed bumps like its a pebble in the road!! Of coarse it rides like a tank, the MJ is a Cadillac on the road!!! So its all relative I guess....

You rock man!!!

CW

A good set of shocks like Bilstein's would also solve your problem. I have some Rancho RS9009's on mine and on one its like a Caddy and on 5 it's like empty 1 ton truck. About 3 is perfect. Bilstein's are supposed to be way better. I'm going with some bypass Bilstein's when the rest of my rig is done and I can afford them.

Been there done that... :D :roll: :brows: Your still a bit new here...check out my links in my sig for full rundowns on my rigs.

I bought a set of 5100's but the valving was a tad light. So i sold them to a buddie with overly stiff coils and picked up these 5150's with the stiffer valving. better, but not yet right...

They did make a HUGE difference. But the "weight" of the springs is just too light. No idea of manufacturer or what they are.

I really do have a fairly extensive list of mods to this rig... :roll:

CW

You might also want to consider BDS and Skyjacker 6" coils. I believe they are both stiffer then the RE springs are. I will be using one of those two spring makers because I like a stiff front spring rate also. I will probably by 7.5" Skyjacker springs and cut them down if needed.

The BDS springs are nice because of their no ?'s asked warranty. I contacted them and was told there springs have a 240# per inch spring rate.

I have had Skyjacker coils before...WAY TOO STIFF.. but forgot all about BDS!! GOOD CALL, I'll check into those!!

6" Is going to be tall, but you have a point on cutting to fit.....

Comanche man,

When ever you get a chance, That would be great. Thanks a bunch guys!!

THX,

CW

I want the Skyjacker coils for the stiff rate since I won't be running a swaybar and they do a great job on high speed hits. They will also help balance out the flex front to rear. I also run a heavy bumper and will be adding a winch and a bunch of other things that will add weight.

My problem is my rear will be at about 7.5" of lift if not more.

RE1345 5.5" XJ coils - with about 5 years of use and a winch bumper.

I measured 16.75" from top to bottom coil mounting surface.

I would call these very soft and flexy coils though, maybe the fact that they were used when I got them, the winch and not having any swaybar makes it seem that way more-so.

Bic,

Thanks man!! Figures a Jonfunder would come thru!!!!

I also have the winch, winch bumper, but I'll be continuing to run my sway bar thank you..... :roll:

CW

I know everyone freaks when people run without a swaybar.

I have my reasons, but also plan on setting the suspension up so sway won't be as much of an issue.

Soft springs need a swaybar.

I will be running stiff springs since I will be cutting down Skyjackers 7.5" springs to get the ride hieght I want and to increase the spring rate. I will also be using a custom mid-length 3 link with a track bar and 5" wider axles. If I don't like it I will add an Anti-Rock sway bar.

I will probably also run a rear spool so everyone can freak again...