1986 MJ “CJ” (Cheap Jeep)

1 hour ago, Dickinson County Comanche said:

a Concord with a 258

That may have the piece that you need, if they are interchangeable between the distributors. I know Eagles with the 258 used Duraspark. This Concord might too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 4:09 PM, 89 MJ said:

That may have the piece that you need, if they are interchangeable between the distributors. I know Eagles with the 258 used Duraspark. This Concord might too.

It did. 82 GL that looked like it had been on the receiving end of a .50 cal. Diaphragm was good and put it in the dizzy. 

On 11/26/2022 at 6:05 PM, eaglescout526 said:

I’ll be watching your adaptation. Should be interesting and has me curious. 

I got it all done and running pretty good tonight. I gotta get the transfer case back in tomorrow and I’ll take pictures of how it’s all set up. For just eyeballing the distributor in, I think it’s actually set in perfect, revs are snappy and there’s no backfiring or missing at high rpm’s.

Got the transfer case all reassembled after having to install a “long” shaft in leu of the “medium” shaft that it originally had. Not a terrible job, but having to tear the entire case down does get a little annoying, but at least it’s pretty simple and I have it down to an art now, but luckily I had the “wide” bearing in a parts case or else I would have been stuck for a little bit.

B52FB56B-68B8-40A9-B721-D4FFEBCDBC09.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 10:39 PM, eaglescout526 said:

Interesting…I wonder how well it will do. I know for my 2.5L XJ coupled with the 3.55 A35 out back, it is a dog and sometimes has some trouble revving with the carb but that might be because I have the carb adjusted for AC compensation. 

Well, as much work I’ve put into the auto & Duraspark conversion, a Comanche near me is getting parted out. 4x4 AX-5, so I think I’ll be manual swapping it, the 2.5 will be much happier that way.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...