Stalling

When I got my truck the cansiter that operates the heater vents was missing. So I got one from a guy on here but when I hooked it up it lowered the idle a good bit, and now when I push the clutch in the idle drops to almost zero and sometimes stalls altogether. Then when I fire it back up the idle shoots up to about 2000 and stays there for a few seconds. Anyone have any idea why it would do this?

Chris

Yeah mine is an 88. I'll have to check the TPS. I don't think it runs quite right even without the canister hooked up. I know it's running rich because it backfires sometimes. Also the voltage gauge is showing around 16 amps so I need to replace the regulator. I think. Could that be messing the idle? I know someone mentioned something about adjusting the voltage on the TPS.

Chris

Before you replace the voltmeter in the dash, check the voltage at the battery with a multimeter. The dash gauges are notoriously inaccurate. The one in my '88 XJ reads about 11 volts, but even when the dealership checked it with their scanner it was actually putting out (IIRC) 13.4 volts -- which is just about right.