Power steering cooler

So when I use my power steering a lot, it begins to not work as well. I believe that the fluid is getting kinda hot, and the whole thing looses power. Would a power steering cooler help this at all? I think it would work a little. I'd put it infront of my electric fan, so I could turn it on and off to expedite the cooling process, especialy when I'm using it frequently.

I was looking at these two designs:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_i ... cts_id=656

and

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_i ... cts_id=638

I'm thinking that #1 would be easier to mount infront of the radiator. #2 would be difficult to place where it would still cool effectively.

Thoughts?

I bought a trans cooler from the junkyard that I'll be installing in the 88 some day. Cost me a dollar. No idea what car it came from though since it was in the aluminum scrap bin. :(

can't beat a dollar!!

Maybe I'll go hunting for one later.

I bought a trans cooler from the junkyard that I'll be installing in the 88 some day. Cost me a dollar. No idea what car it came from though since it was in the aluminum scrap bin. :(
I got the one off my neighbor's car before it went into the demo derby this year. It came out of a 95 caprice classic PD car. I'm not even sure in going to use it gotta see what in all comes home this week...

A cooler defiantly helps a lot.

Also consider running a "better" fluid that has a lower boiling point. I run ATE Super Blue on all my track cars and have not ever had it get to hot on me after several hours on the track. Prior to running it I was always boiling the fluid.

-Lead_"I'm hard on brakes racing"_Follow

I found a trans cooler that was 15"x4" in size and will be mounting it below my radiator behind the bumper. My bumper design allows air flow on the road threw it and this should be large enough to make a difference on the trail too.

I am assuming that the bigger the cooler the more cooling it can accomplish, correct? I have been told that an HD steering pump might be beneficial too. What do you guys think?

Summit has a couple large aluminum transmission coolers that I was looking into. I have a trans cooler infront of the rad now, and was thinking of getting the biggest possible trans cooler that I could stuff infront of the electric fan, so I could turn it on when going slow.

You may be over thinking this one. I think you'll see a huge improvement with even a tiny cooler since you current system has no way to efficiently dump the excess heat. But on the other hand I don't think there is such a thing as too much cooling... :dunno: :D