86 rebuild

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

truck has been at the body shop for a few weeks now..  went through everything with them and discussed what i would like to accomplish.   they advised me to consider an entire cab replacement, vice just replacing the panels i needed.  so.. pending a final price, the entire cab of the comanche will be removed, and the front of a 2000 cherokee will be put back.  

Replacing the cab of an MJ? I’d be a bit skeptical of that as the cab is integral to the “uni-frame” design. Not to mention if they use a 97-01 XJ, the firewall will not line up with anything like the clutch, brake master, etc. so they actually need a Renix era XJ or another MJ to start swapping things around. 

windshield frame is heavily rotted, firewall and floor pan are much cleaner in the xj.. the ones in the mj are beginning to rot as well.  front headlight buckets are different for the 87+ latch system, as well as a few other panels are slightly different.  also need to sort out the door strikers for 97+ doors..  scheduled for another visit tomorrow afternoon with their body guy to go over what I'm looking to do.  

• 1 year later...

So long time since an update... The body shop held onto the truck for over a year and made zero progress on it... So it moved back home and now I'm doing all the panel replacements.  Currently has no floor at all, and Ithat is good, because even after blasting I found more rust under the floor braces