Anybody build a flatbed?

Well, after cutting apart some more of my box, I'd decide I want to ditch it. There's not much left that's in acceptable shape. I supposedly could weld up the problems and stick it back on, but I don't really want to.

So, anybody build a flatbed? I know of one good tutorial on pirate4x4 (I think it was there) for a FSJ. But has anybody here done it for a Comanche? Looks straight foreward enough to me. I'm just looking for ideas and such I guess.

Oh yeah, any pics? Maybe I should go cruise some 'yota boards :? They seem to like building flatbeds. Although, they half-@$$ everything.

Edit: The tutorial/how to I was talking about is on 4x4 wire actually, and is for a J-10, but it serves my purpose as a starting point.

Edit again: I fixed my tcase/SYE if anybody cares. Now to fix the vac disco and I can move 'er around again.

'Nother edit: Anybody have CAD drawings, or even good side shots that are high contrast that I can mess with to attempt to find a look that I like? I mean of a stocker. Or something with a flatbed. Maybe I should hit up google.

The sky is the limit if you're starting from scratch. Some guys like tube, some like wood. Personally, if my bed finally bites the dust, I'd like to design a bed that resembles the old M-715 bed.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Here's some ugly ones I've seen:

>

The first one of those is sweet. (Not crazy about that tiny headache rack, roll bar, or whatever the hell you wanna call it) Needs another 2" of lift in the back though. Heck, I just finished telling some kid on jeepforum that a dually would look really stupid. Shows what I know! But he wanted to do it with the stock box. (Maybe he wasn't a kid either, hmm, hope he wasn't older than me.)

The second, now that would fit in around here. Well, it would have fit in 5 years ago. Other than it doesn't have a gun rack. Pitty.

I'm trying to figure out what would 'feel' like a Comanche yet still be funtional. I predict a lot of my time that I'm supposed to be listening in class is going to be diverted into drawing diagrams of flatbeds! I think I'm going to make it so the sides are removable, and possibly try to work a cut down version of the tailgate in. I'd rather not lose that logo. I should get out there and take a bunch of measurements actually, just so I know exactly what I have to play with. Actually building it will be in the distant future though, I'm just gonna slap some taillights on it and put a crossmemeber in for the gas tank so I can drive 'er around. I miss driving the damn girl. :cry:

Oh, on a final note: "My Shaft's a Woody" - just need some bolts and I'll be almost 4wd again!

Yeah, cherokees and comanches are boxy, round things just don't look good one them, IMHO. I'd thought of building a stepside for one, and I think I could make that work too, but that's way more work. That yota is similar to what I want to build in my mind... I'd make a more functional roll bar though.

Oh yeah, I now have a gas tank that's not falling off, so that's progress. I'd have the driveshaft in too, but the Ford dealership only had three of the four bolts I needed. Which is retarded, as they were used quite a bit on every vehicle from about 97 up, I think.