H.O. head swap questions

Should i swap for the HO or keep my Renix stuff??  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should i swap for the HO or keep my Renix stuff??

• Swap in the HO head etc
    • Fix gasket and just put renix head back on

Well my 87 MJ has a slight head gasket leak so i will need to pull it off anyways...i have a 92 H.O. motor with everything including the computer and harness if i need it, that i pull everything necessary to do the swap...question is should I?

I plan to swap:

-H.O. head, valve cover

-Intake and T/B

-Exhaust manifold or header

The only hang up would be the TPS but i can make something or splice wires to make it work correctly

Opinions and Suggestions Appreciated!!!

:D

Might as well if you have it...

The TPS on the non-HO engine has 2 connectors that come out of it. One connector (flat one) tells the computer how much throttle is being applied. The other (square) controls the TCU (transmission control unit) which controls shift points. The HO TPS only has 1 connector that goes to the computer. The computer controls the TCU. It is fairly easy to fabricate a small spacer and "widget" to allow the use of the old TPS with the new throttle body (This is a MUST) so far unless you're a rocket scientist and can rewire. This is the only choice. But it's not to hard to make a little adapter. There are several ways to go about it. I'm not going to go into detail about it at this time...

I have pics and details of when I did it floating around somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and report back...

I used a 93 head on my 4.7 stroker in my 89 MJ. To fix the TPS problem I used the HESCO adapter.

http://www.hescosc.com/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=45563&catId=7972

Not cheap but it sure makes it a lot easier!!

Pat

89 MJ

4.7 Stroker

Pat, where in wisconsin are you located? I'm southeast wisconsin along with 89eliminator and TNT

I just moved back to WI in August. I retired from the Army and now live in Star Prairie. A small town of about 650 north of New Richmond. About 45 miles east of the Twin Cities.

I've seen a couple 'Manches up here but don't know if anyone from the forum lives up here.

I just moved back to WI in August. I retired from the Army and now live in Star Prairie. A small town of about 650 north of New Richmond. About 45 miles east of the Twin Cities.

I've seen a couple 'Manches up here but don't know if anyone from the forum lives up here.

you won't see him for awhile, but Beaterjeep (joe) lives in menomonee so he's near you. he owns an 88 4 cyl 2wd that's rust free but needs a small amount of body work, and an 86 2.8 that came from girsmj86 that's immaculate exterior-wise except the flat black paint, needs new motor/trans soon and finish interior. good guy, he's in the hospital at the moment but should be out soon.

other than that, we're all 5 or 6 hours southeast of you for the most part