Knocking On Valve Cover 2.5L

87 2.5l

Ive been struggling to get a replacement valve cover after mine started leaking pretty bad. I've ordered 3 plastic replacements so far. The fitment of the first was off and about 1/2" too long. The second was a Dorman that looked like it had been used with deformed bolt holes and crap all over it. 

I ordered one more Dorman and installed it today and it had to be pulled apart little bit to line up with the bolt holes, but it fit fine.

However .. when the engine is running I can feel physical bumping on the cover with my hand. It makes a very very dull and subtle knock sound and I'm assuming the rockers are bumping the inside of the cover.

When feel the head for any kind of vibrations i can't. but the cover gives off some pretty obvious bumps. 

As far as I know the top end is stock. Does anybody know if those vibrations are normal? Is there a taller cover I should get? This one was supposed to be direct replacement.

9 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

@eaglescout526 is the go to 4cyl guy around here. 

I was about to respond but left for work. 

Anywho, the aftermarket ones are complete garbage and I swear that anyone running the 2.5L should stay away if at all possible. Highly recommend the original valve cover as it is a very hard plastic one over the aftermarket being some sort of cheap rubber like plastic. 
If ya can’t find an original plastic one, metal is the next best thing to swap to. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, eaglescout526 said:

I was about to respond but left for work. 

Anywho, the aftermarket ones are complete garbage and I swear that anyone running the 2.5L should stay away if at all possible. Highly recommend the original valve cover as it is a very hard plastic one over the aftermarket being some sort of cheap rubber like plastic. 
If ya can’t find an original plastic one, metal is the next best thing to swap to. 

Thanks. I've been searching around on here about the metal covers.  I've been able to find a couple beat YJ covers on ebay but they are wanting $120.  I may need to dig around some salvage yards in the area. Unless you guys know a place I could find one.