Steering Question: How bad on road with this...

OK i want to go OTK for somewhat cheap but strong. I am thinking of building a setup for the MJ. I was thinking Johnny joints with a straight hole and lock nuts and washers on the axle. My questions are IS the idea a safe way to do it and drive on the street? Any ill effects with this? I know i can get a Waggy setup and go OTK and ream the nukles but I was wanting to use some nice DOM i have left over to build it. Anyone built there own from SCRATCH. Thanks guys.

Cole

I haven't seen Johnny Joints small enough for this use....

Two words come to mind for all steering linkages...SINGLE SHEAR. Its not a good thing and should be avoided.

TRE's work well for most all steering setups. The ONLY WAY I would use other stuff is if it was off road only. I mean truly ONLY. Like trailered EVERYWHERE but the trail.

TRE's are not generally the problem, trying to make too steep angles work after the lift is the problem. As a rule, it doesn't work, not because of the TRE's, because geometry. TRE's work very well if a working knowledge of steering geometry is put into your steering setup.

JMHO,

CW

Thanks CW I was contiplating doing it like that but then i started think of all the things that could go wrong. I am glad someone has told me all the BAD. I was to skittish to trust doing it without some of your guys opinions. I think i would rather go with a 1 ton setup that is customized with my steel or something.

Cole

OK i want to go OTK for somewhat cheap but strong. I am thinking of building a setup for the MJ. I was thinking Johnny joints with a straight hole and lock nuts and washers on the axle. My questions are IS the idea a safe way to do it and drive on the street? Any ill effects with this? I know i can get a Waggy setup and go OTK and ream the nukles but I was wanting to use some nice DOM i have left over to build it. Anyone built there own from SCRATCH. Thanks guys.

Cole

just how cheap are u looking to make it for , i did the JCR OTK kit and all said and done it cost me like $ 320.00 and was well worth it and it aint home brewed or single shear. not that home brew is bad .

I think you had mentioned OTK before. This is a option, but sometimes other things need to be addressed to utalize this.

I have the JCR setups on both my wheeler jeeps.. My MJ is about 6" of lift and the angles are good with little to no bump steer.

CW