4L60e swap question (in a Suburban)

mjeff87

Long story, but my buddy has an '02 (ish) Suburban with the craptastic 4L60e trans.  All indications point toward it broke the sun shell and it's currently not driveable.  He's desperately wanting me to help him swap a new (reman) trans into it so he can get it moving and either run it or sell it off for as much as he can get for it.  It's got other issues as well......Anyways, does anyone have any experience with these things?  I watched a couple videos and it seems pretty straightforward, albeit there's a metric crap ton of stuff to disconnect/unbolt before you can actually remove the damn thing.  Looking for any tips/advice/watch-out-for's if anyone has any.

And of course, he wants to do this in his blacktop driveway, which is not level.  On the ground, with hand tools, a floor jack, and with a 2-day deadline.  I'm already regretting answering his text for help....

EDIT:  dang it, I posted this in the wrong section....thought I was in Free Parking.  Can one of you Mod Gods please move it for me? :doh:

RWD or 4WD? I've got to the point where I can do a rear main seal on these in about 4 hours start to finish, just did one Monday. Nothing difficult, just have some really long extensions for the top bellhousing bolts. A lift makes it much easier though. 

6 hours ago, scguy said:

RWD or 4WD? I've got to the point where I can do a rear main seal on these in about 4 hours start to finish, just did one Monday. Nothing difficult, just have some really long extensions for the top bellhousing bolts. A lift makes it much easier though. 

Not that it’s a competition, but my dad, brother, and I can get an engine/transmission/transfer case/wiring harness out of one of these in about 7 hours and then have the body back on the frame and rolled out. 

It's 4WD.  I might have been able to talk some sense into him, though.  He's considering taking it to a shop to get it done.  I'm only shying away from it because, although I really enjoy wrenching, I enjoy it in a proper shop (or at least a garage with a flat concrete floor) with some cover, and the proper tools.  I have the air tools, but he lives about an hour north of me and I'd have to drag all my crap up there.  And probably leave it all there for as long as it would take.