1986 Comanche 4x4

Hey guys, first post here, really stoked on finding this community! 

So here it is: I found this 86 4x4 with the 2.5 and 5speed after being on the hunt for the better part of a year. I was stunned to finally come across a comanche and it actually had a pretty decent frame and body (except the driver’s side floor pan but i’ll get to that later). Rare find here in western Montana. I drove it home and thus the journey has begun. 

230DABC7-7EBA-4699-88E3-F72E097566B7.jpeg

Previous owners said they replaced cap, wires, plugs and some other little things. Put new wheels on (i have the originals). And by all accounts the truck ran decent.

The initial challenges:

-bleeds oil and ps fluid like a stuck pig

-engine produces slightly more power than a lawnmower. I know these little 2.5s aren’t known for power but I assume this old gal has some things that need attention. 

-exhaust leak

-key broke off in lock cylinder so you literally just turn it w/out a key and it starts.

So, in the last week I replaced the lock cylinder and the power steering pressure hose. Although the ps leak has been drastically reduced, there is still a leak coming from the ps gear box. This is a pricey part so I’m going to hold off on it for now and address more pressing matters. 

I noticed a substantial amount of oil was leaking from the valve cover cap so I  fashioned a couple rubber washers out of an old bicycle tube and “fixed” that for now. From the looks of it, oil seems to also be spraying out of somewhere else as well. The primary culprit seems to be valve cover gasket. I’ll have to wait until I get to a car wash in order to spray down the engine bay to confirm though.

Also found this in the air box…? Who knew the air box also serves as a second glove box!

7DEF0B9E-BC38-47F0-A17E-B2E6486F76C9.jpeg

Nice find! I really like the color combo of the tan topper with red truck and black flares. That is really strange about the air box, hope there weren't any trips down dirt roads. I had an 86 with the 2.5 and it was an automatic and a total dog when you turned the a/c on, glad you have a manual and guessing you won't need a/c too often where you are. 

Buck. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 6:11 PM, buxmj said:

Nice find! I really like the color combo of the tan topper with red truck and black flares. That is really strange about the air box, hope there weren't any trips down dirt roads. I had an 86 with the 2.5 and it was an automatic and a total dog when you turned the a/c on, glad you have a manual and guessing you won't need a/c too often where you are. 

Buck. 

Thanks! Yea funny I wasn’t necessarily particular about color but I wasn’t exactly looking for a red comanche either. When I saw the black/red combo w the tan interior I was instantly won over and now I’m really digging it. 

No a/c but I gotta figure out this heater situation asap! Nightly lows getting down into the 20s and 30s nxt week. 

Nice truck btw. I’m actually a former central floridian myself (mount dora born and raised). I remember seeing my first comanche back in the day and thinking one day I’ll get my hands on one. Perhaps it was yours.