2wd Ax4 4wd conversion

I have a 2wd 1987 Mj with 2.5l and ax4 transmission.  I’m hoping to convert it to 4wd there is lots of good info on old posts but curious if anyone knew of a write up for most straight forward swap with least modification possible. Thanks a lot!

Need more details about your plans. To be most cost and time effectiveness, what could you tell me about your truck drivetrains current condition? What direction are you looking to go with your MJ in regards to how you would like to utilize it... Daily driver? Weekend warrior? Rock crawler? Work horse? 

:popcorn:

The most straight forward swap is to get an XJ or MJ l donor with the 2.5L AX4 set up but with 4wd and it will give you the idea of what the setup is and how to assemble it on your 2wd MJ. Mostly it’s making sure you have matching front axle ratio and right era T-case. 

You should have a 4.56 rear axle, just FYI.  Finding a stock 4.56 D30 isn't going to be easy.  You might could find a 4.10 one and regear it, or just do a full front/rear axle swap to a different (matching) ratio.