oil at the end of exhaust manifold

so i bought another comanche today. it was only 900.00 bucks and its my first 4x4 vehicle. its an automactic with the 4.0. i am the 2nd owner, the interior is near perfect except for excessive amount of dust..nothin a good old cleanin won't take care of ;)

my problem.....it has white smoke coming out of the mounting bracket to where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe. there is a build up of black gunk. whats wrong with my truck? I'm leaning toward blown seals in the internals of the engine but want to make sure first..

am i gunna need a rebuild kit for this new project of mine?

whats ur input?

thx

White smoke is usually coolant. Could be a head gasket or a warped head that needs machining.

Blue smoke is usually oil.

A leak between the manifold and downpipe is most likely the gasket between the two or a cracked manifold.

The gunk is just carbon. It'll be near any exhaust leak.

If it turns out to be burning oil, it's 99% of the time caused by worn cylinder walls. This means the cylinder walls need to be bored out by a machine shop or a get a replacement motor. Burning oil, means the engine needs some sort of strip down/build up.

the motor on the truck has roughly 200,000 miles on it. if it is the worn cyclinder walls like you said, would it be better to get a new motor or have the machine shop stoke it and do a rebuild? I'm sure a 4.0 motor at the junk yard won't cost that much will it?

do you know roughly how much it cost to rebore the engine at the machine shop?

I wouldn't worry about that just yet unless you're leaving huge clouds of smoke behind you as you drive. It there's an exhaust leak at the connection between the manifold and exhaust pipe, I would try to fix it and see what happens.

Try and fix the leak first, as Pete said. After that's done, evaluate how much smoke is actually coming out of the tailpipe. If it's a little bit, start looking at doing a rebuild, getting a used motor, or getting a remanned motor. If it's billowing, take care of it quickly.

Junkyard motors are inexpensive. Getting a donor rig is also a good option.

My work sells 4.0 long blocks for (I think) 1200, with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

A donor rig can cost 500, but it is used and has no warranty, but the costs may be worth it to you.

White smoke is usually coolant. Could be a head gasket or a warped head that needs machining.

Blue smoke is usually oil.

A leak between the manifold and downpipe is most likely the gasket between the two or a cracked manifold.

The gunk is just carbon. It'll be near any exhaust leak.

If it turns out to be burning oil, it's 99% of the time caused by worn cylinder walls. This means the cylinder walls need to be bored out by a machine shop or a get a replacement motor. Burning oil, means the engine needs some sort of strip down/build up.

gahh. chances are its probably NOT worn out cylinders. @ 200k its more along the lines of valves not seating correctly.

there is a cheap fix that may work for you

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL. the stuff is like Jesus. its cheap add it to your oil and gas fix your exhaust and tell us the results