Help with 2.8L

Hello, I have the v6 with the 5 speed manual. I have had this truck for about a year now and besides the lack of power it ran descent.

But it has developed a problem. It starts and idles fine but when driving, it will run fine for maybe 30 seconds or so then 5-6 seconds it will lose power then fine again for another 30-40 seconds and so on.....

I'm thinking flakey ignition module but i'm trying to not just throw money at it. Any suggestions?

Well, I started looking into the items you guys suggested.

I unhooked the fuel line to check for descent volume and pressure. Both are fine. While I had the air cleaner off I started it and tried to get it to do it. I took it down my street and back up and it sounds like its backfiring through the carb.

This problem developed over the course of maybe two weeks. It would lose power for a few seconds maybe every 5 miles or so and gradually got worse.

It could be so many things... you said it was backfiring so check for vacuum leaks. Check the intake bolts and make sure they are tight. It could also be the ignition.

Do you regularly maintain it? It may need a good tune-up. The distributor cap could cracked, the distributor itself could be loose.

Check the whole thing over good...

timing may be to "retarded." mark with a magic marker the location of your dist. and then spin it iver so slightly counter clockwise and if it gets worse spin it ever so slightly clockwise from whare the 2 lines match. if that dosent fix it we can rule out spark and fuel.