Project Stomper ***WAHOOOO*** It's Finally back on da road

Finally after over two years of slapping around projects in my head trying to find motivation to work on one of my two MJ's again I have started work on Project Stomper.

I bought Project Stomper, as a bone stock, repainted, 1987 MJ with 51,000 origional miles in the spring of 2006. I bought it from my neighbors father for $1200. When I bought the MJ it had a broken shock mount on the drivers side of the D30, and the radiator was leaky. I replaced the radiator with an all metal 3 row, and I immediatly put 4 new 235x75xR15 Walmart GY Wranglers on it on black steelies to replaced the mismosh of mistmatched tires and wheels that were on it when I bought it.

I drove it that way for 1.5 years, with no drivers side front shock.

A good friend of mine was hired last summer at http://www.wactc.edu as the auto mechanics instructor. We chated and I told him that I wanted to do some work on this MJ and after we talked he thought that it would be a great project for the students.

So here is where we are at.

They rebuilt a 1995 Non Disco D30 with 3.55 gears with new ball joints, new seals, new rotors, new brakes, new calipers, new wheel joints, and new axle bushings in the upper control arm mount locations. They put new 80W90 in the pumpkin.

They are replacing the old Disco D30 with the new one, and installing Rough Country coils, shocks, and steering stabilizer, yoke joint, soft brake lines. This is the RC2.5" package.

They are adding the RC2.5" AAL in the rear with new U-Bolts, new brakes, new E-brake cables, and a new yoke joint.

They are installing an ARB Bull Bar on the front.

They are installing a new Exhaust Down Pipe between the manifold and converter.

They are installing a rear license plate light and a new trailer wiring harness.

They are installing a set of tail gate straps.

They are installing a factory T-Case skid plate.

They are installing an electric engine fan on a switch, and a new factory fan shroud as well as flushing the radiator.

They are replacing the fluids in the D35 gear box, crankcase, and t-case.

They are performing a front end alignment.

They are installing a Radio Shack CB Radio and antenna.

And to top it off I am installing BFG MTKM's on Wrangler Gamblers.

I should have the MJ back by some time late next week.

I'll post pictures then.

My costs were parts, plus a work order feel that was less than $10.

I'd rather do the work my self but when you are busy as heck I can't beat the free labor. They do excellent work, like removing every single speck of rust from the new replacement D30 and painting it. You can't beat it any way shape or form.

In January, they are going to start working on my 1989 that none of you were interested in buying. That will be Project Bigger Stomper

It is getting an RE SOA Kit, 4.56 gears, Non Disco D30/D44 combo. Front OX locker, stake flat bed, to finish out the rolling chassi on 265x75xR15 Retread's with BFG AT Tread. I'll either put black steelies or sears brand Outlaw II wheels on it. This part of the build will be done next spring.

The rest of the build will include ARB Bull Bar, Warn Power Plant, Fresh Reman 4.0, Reman AW4 Auto, reman 231 wSYE, CV Rear shaft, and a square fuel cell mounted on top of the bed at the back of the cab wall.

I have recently obtained a front clip fro a 1995 XJ that is in very good condition that is the dark teal color. That is the color that we are going to paint the entire front cab/doors/clip.

Stomper named for the toy that was the rage back around 1980-84? Funny I had the same idea for my XJ sooner or later I'm going to get a Windshield and back window banner in the same font as the toy... heheh probably 90% of why I own a lifted big tired Jeep is childhood memories.

I also wanted to paint an MJ yellow and get TONKA stickers for it.

Nice getting all that free labor, you still supplied the parts though right?

Yep.

I supply all of the parts for my own personal vehicles.

When we start the 1989 Project in the spring, I have donated the Jeep to a non profit that is going to own the vehicle through the build process. We have several sponsors on board to produce a BBA (billy bad A$$) rig hopefull in time to take to BIG DOGS in May of 08.

Just the past few days we have been getting a tremendous amout of support for the project from manufactures and retailers.

• 1 month later...

Well I just picked it up at 3:15 today.

New 1995 Non Disco D30

New Rough Country Coils

New Shocks

New Steering stabilizer.

New D30 yoke joint.

New Front soft brake hoses

New Front Brakes

New Rear Brake Hose

New Brake Lines on rear D35

New Rear Brakes

Custom Relocation Bracket for upper rear brake hose connection on the frame.

New AAL's

New U-Bolts

New E-brake cables

New D35 yoke joint.

Used ARB Bull Bar

New Exhaust Down Pipe between the manifold and converter.

New Exhaust Gaskets and Donut

New Radiator Fan Shroud

Used tail gate straps.

Flush and Fill all the fluids in the D35 gear box, crankcase, and t-case.

Front end alignment.

Used BFG MTKM's on Wrangler Gamblers

MY STOMPER MJ ROCKS!!!

Looks great! But I tell what also rocks, Vincents! Great food, and do you know what is crazy??!! I lived about 3 mins from where those pics were taken at that plow and trailer place. Turn left down on McMurray by the greek church, turn right into the plan just past the new townhomes in the Heartland Home plan. Top of the hill first house on right on Skyline Dr.

Crazy!

Go Steelers!

Ohhh my.......Vinnie Pie!!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

We used to live in Greensburg. Went down to the Irwin shop on rt. 30.

The ice cream scoops of fresh sausage are a life changing experience......

Truck looks awesome man. We all hafta do a get together sometime this spring/summer. It's cool you got the youth involved, and props to you for your donation plan to the non-profit!

:cheers:

Jeff

Looks great. jamminz.gif

How much did that ARB Bull Bar run ya if you don't mind me asking? :brows:

Looks sweeeett. :drool:

I picked it up from a guy in Ohio slightly used for about $400

The guy worked at 4wd and then moved on to some Fabshop and built a custom tube bumper for his XJ.

Looks great! But I tell what also rocks, Vincents! Great food, and do you know what is crazy??!! I lived about 3 mins from where those pics were taken at that plow and trailer place.

Go Steelers!

The plow/trailer place is gone now.

A business that I work for, Choice Respiratory Care and Choice Medical Supplies is now located in that building and there is an additional 2500 square feet being added onto the building right now for a Warehouse for the company.

Sorry about the foggy photos. I dun know what happened.