Nulf 1988 Comanche

I have a 4 cylinder 1988 Comanche 4 speed. I want to put a inline 6 engine in it or maybe just a regular V6. Does any one know what years are most compatible and what is the difficult level of the swap over

19 minutes ago, wnulf said:

I have a 4 cylinder 1988 Comanche 4 speed. I want to put a inline 6 engine in it or maybe just a regular V6. Does any one know what years are most compatible and what is the difficult level of the swap over

It depends on your definition of difficult. All engine swaps are not going to be fun, quick or easy. BTW you'll have to swap the tranny as well. If you're going through all that trouble I'd go all out and take a '91 -96 Cherokee 4.0, AW4, transfer case (hopefully a NP 242, but a NP231 will work too), front and rear axles, wiring harness and instrument cluster. '91 and up are 4.0 HO years, OBD II started in '96 (probably the best year). '97 and up use a different instrument cluster that won't just bolt in.

Forgot to add you'll need the ECU and TCU as well. Basically you'll just be using your Comanche for the frame and body, everything else will be Cherokee. The 4 door Cherokees use the same front doors as Comanches, basically a one for one swap (great time to upgrade to electric locks, windows and mirrors). 

It’s also an option to do stand alone efi either using the 4.0 HO harness and ecu from 91-95 or a stand alone unit from Holley, mega squirt, hall tech etc. That way you can keep your engine running happy and your original wiring in-tact. The factory harnesses just fused together chasis and efi harnesses. They can be separated though as it doesn’t actually take very much to run an HO engine