2wd to 4wd

ok so i know these posting are all over this site but i want my own personalized response if i may...

got an 86' long bed with 2.5 and 4 speed tranny. found a 86 of the same nature but with 4x4 and a 5 speed. owner says that the rear end is busted and wants to sell it for 600 bucks. what do i need for the swap? anything to look out for? or should i just go to a junk yard and take the parts off other jeeps to build my rigg?

also, i found a powertrax no-slip locker for the comanche. I'm new to 4x4in so bear with me..the description on the locker says only for 4wd..will it be able to fit in to the rear diff in my truck? it should be a dana 35c..still checkin on that tho..let me know what you think. any opinion or knowledge helpful.

thanks

600 bucks for entire donor vehicle, not too bad as long as everything works.

However

Being as your truck is a 4 speed, chances are you have 3.55 gearing in your rear end. The donor, being a 4cyl 5 speed, is going to have 4.10 gearing in the pumpkins. *No guarantees that is completely true, but it's basically standard.

Therefore, you'd have to get a rear end with 4.10 to match the front axle.

For my swap, since my truck was also a 2.5 4 speed, I had 3.55 in the rear. I was lucky enough to get a front end with 3.55 off of a 94 Cherokee.

If you can make him a decent off on the trans and linkages, go for it, but because of the gearing problem I wouldn't get the whole truck.

on the locker the 4x4 and the 2x4 have the same rear diff options so yeah it'll work in your truck... just be sure what axle you have.

and to have a truck to pull from is nice, i would go for the truck... and just swap over the rear axle, you'd be geared alot nicer then too.