88 Comanche Bhw tdi swap build thread

I will post a pic tomorrow of the progress. Hopefully will make the engine mounts and have them welded in. I am using fast forward automotive for my wiring harness. I thought long and hard about modifying the harness myself, but opted for the simplicity that fast forward can offer. He can also make cruise control and all that good stuff work as well. For the transmission, I am using an external slave ax15 out of a newer Cherokee. Hopefully will be able to handle the power being that I am going to be right around 300 ftlbs of torque. I also used the Coty Built adapter to mate the engine and transmission. Looks like a verry high quality part and It fit absolutely perfect. Here is a pic of my truck before the swap and the drivetrain that is going it it.

PXL_20210105_162523956.jpg

IMG_20200723_183803.jpg

So I started in on the engine mounts today. Didn't get as far as I wanted but I did make progress. td conversions sells mounts for this, but they are backordered currently and I think it is much more fun to build them. I will post again when I get is finish welded to the truck. The weight difference on this engine is incredible. The truck hardly sags on the front when I place the engine in. From what I read it is about 330 pounds verses 700 for the 4.0 litre.

DSCN3155.JPG

DSCN3156.JPG

3 hours ago, Comanche12345 said:

So I started in on the engine mounts today. Didn't get as far as I wanted but I did make progress. td conversions sells mounts for this, but they are backordered currently and I think it is much more fun to build them. I will post again when I get is finish welded to the truck. The weight difference on this engine is incredible. The truck hardly sags on the front when I place the engine in. From what I read it is about 330 pounds verses 700 for the 4.0 litre.

DSCN3155.JPG

DSCN3156.JPG

Power to weight for TDIs is incredible. Definitely following, and best of luck! Post some photos of the mounts, super interested in what you go with. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I haven't posted for a while, but I have actually made a ton of progress. Engine mounts are done, intercooler piping is done, fuel system is done, Still working on the wiring. I battling with oil pan clearances right now, but I'm going to see if the oil pan of of a 2007 2.0 Audi gas engine will fit. It looks really similar so I am hopeful.

Photos.zip

On 3/30/2021 at 11:12 PM, Pete M said:

I'm going to move this over to Epic  :L:  

alright. I'm completely rewiring the truck and it is a long process, but I will update when I am done. You never realize how everything completely works until you actually go through and build the entire truck from the ground up.