XJ OEM Power Mirrors

RE:  1984-1996 Cherokee OEM Power Mirrors

Some questions:

1.) Can the motors be removed and replaced?

2.) Are the Driver/Passenger Side motors interchangeable?

3.) Is the Chrome model a removable outer shell?

Thanks

youngfred

Good/Working OEM Power Mirrors are becoming

harder to find, like other MJ/XJ OEM PartS.

Seems like now, we are down to the either/or phase -

Good Inside/Bad Outside or vice/versa.

Some - Up/Down Works but you have to

move the Left/Right, by hand.

This generated the questions above.

youngfred

• youngfred changed the title to XJ Power Mirrors

If you are going the route of trying to refurbish a pair of OEM power mirrors, it might be worthwhile to investigate if newer motors from the 97-01 mirrors could be retrofitted to the 84-96 mirrors.  Longhshot, but I've never opened up either style to look at motors.

I wouldn't mess around trying to rescutate an old electric motor.

Replacement mirror assemblies, complete, are available from several sources new.   Rock Auto lists several brands for $75 and up.  eBay has new aftermarket units for $50 and up.

RE:  OEM MIRRORS

I have POPPED, the mirror on a

pogo-stick to replace to a stick with

better control of up/down-left/right

and to replace the cracked brake-away.

I have never POPPED, the mirror on

a Electric Mirror. That's why I asked.

Thanks

youngfred

• youngfred changed the title to XJ OEM Power Mirrors
3 hours ago, AZJeff said:

I wouldn't mess around trying to rescutate an old electric motor.

Replacement mirror assemblies, complete, are available from several sources new.   Rock Auto lists several brands for $75 and up.  eBay has new aftermarket units for $50 and up.

This is an option, but I'd take my chances on a used one versus new. When I first swapped the power mirrors into my 91 I did it using a set I bought on Amazon. One worked about 50% of the time, and the other was OK for about 5 minutes until it quit completely. I got a refund, but still. I don't know if there's more than one company making these aftermarket, but I wasn't feeling like being the guinea pig.

The aftermarket ones also lack gaskets and (if I remember correctly) the grommet for the wiring harness.

18 hours ago, Minuit said:

This is an option, but I'd take my chances on a used one versus new. When I first swapped the power mirrors into my 91 I did it using a set I bought on Amazon. One worked about 50% of the time, and the other was OK for about 5 minutes until it quit completely. I got a refund, but still. I don't know if there's more than one company making these aftermarket, but I wasn't feeling like being the guinea pig.

The aftermarket ones also lack gaskets and (if I remember correctly) the grommet for the wiring harness.

I have 97+ XJ doors on my MJ.  I used replacment mirrors from Rock Auto.  Here are my assessments of those mirrors:

1.   housing is black plastic, rather than the OEM die cast/painted metal.   This isn't an issue in my book, and actually is an improvement, since the die cast ones corroded internally.

2.  the new mirrors came with gaskets, but no screws.   I reused my old screws.

3.  the new mirrors did NOT come with the grommets, but I got some at the hardware store that functioned effectively.

My mirrors have been on for about 18 months, and seem fine and still fully functional.