Mystery Squeaking...

Alright this has been bugging me for about 2 months, at speeds between 0 and about 25 theres a fairly constant squeak coming from the area where the front driveshaft connects and enters the transfer case, after i get over 25mph it goes away, ive tried greasing and lubing everything around there but it won't vanish so now its time for some more professional advice.......thanks for any help

It's the centering ball in the front DS. Trust me......I almost blew mine up yesterday, and it was making the same squeak sound (plus some scary grinding noises :D) I stopped at a podunk gas station and pulled the front shaft out.......while two state troopers asked me what I was doing :chillin:

Jeff

I stopped once in West Point to do a visual, and the front pinion seemed hot but not too hot so I kept going. Got on the interstate and rode it up to the 106 exit, got off and pulled into a truckstop/gas station. Troopers gave me a few compliments, and even asked if I wanted them to call for help ;)

Good you didn't have to do it in West Point and put up with the Chesapeake paper mill stink.

Thats where I work at :eek: and it is no Longer Cheasapeake.. it is Smurfit-Stone Container Corp at West Point :brows: You can't smell it after you work there for a few yrs :roll:

It's been quite a few years since I lived up there. I used to live in Hanover county and my parents were in Mathews county, so we passed through West Point a lot. When to wind was right, you could smell that paper mill in Gloucester. I'm sure it's better now..........................

Roger that. I lived in Gloucester a few years too and worked at the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station, then went overseas and stayed for about 15 years. It is beautiful country and I miss the fishin' and crabbin' on the Bay. Still have a sister in Gloucester and get up there about once a year.

100K people! Dayem, that festival used to be sparsely attended. Back on topic, it gripes me how you guys are doing these lifts with practically no vibes. I did a paltry 3" lift about a year and a half ago via a new set of Metric Ton springs and OME coils up front, and had zero vibes too - at first. Then about a year later, slight driveline vibes started between 35-45 under acceleration and got progressively worse. I had to eliminate everything else at first (steering, suspension, tires. wheels, etc.) since it all started a year after the lift. Finally after a new driveshaft, 3* shims on the leafs to get the pinion back down, new tranny mount, and a new bushing in the tranny tailshaft extension, I've about got it cured. The rear leafs have settled about an inch, which I thinkcaused it. The vibes are still there though, at the same speed, but barely noticible. I guess all rigs are different.

Yeah it is kinda Funny about the Oyster Festival... 100k ppl in a town that normally has a population of 5k at the most :eek: Did I mention the one way in.. and the 15 bucks it cost to park about a mile from the town :brows: It is mostly geared towards tourists.. it use to be a local only kinda thing.. damn come here's :roll:

Jeff got kinda lucky on the lack of vibes... but this isnt the first time I have done this kinda thing either. :brows: You can ask him.. I told him his front shaft was more then likely his problem :nuts: His rear driveshaft had the same pinion angle after we flipped it as it did when it was SUA, plus a new u-joint (we should have changed the other one too)

Yeah it is kinda Funny about the Oyster Festival... 100k ppl in a town that normally has a population of 5k at the most :eek: Did I mention the one way in.. and the 15 bucks it cost to park about a mile from the town :brows: It is mostly geared towards tourists.. it use to be a local only kinda thing.. damn come here's :roll:

Jeff got kinda lucky on the lack of vibes... but this isnt the first time I have done this kinda thing either. :brows: You can ask him.. I told him his front shaft was more then likely his problem :nuts: His rear driveshaft had the same pinion angle after we flipped it as it did when it was SUA, plus a new u-joint (we should have changed the other one too)

My driveline angles are perfect now, and the vibes are still there, albeit very slight. But very slight still bugs the crap out of me. So maybe it's something else. When I regeared a few months ago, the vibes seemed to get worse, although the rear end is quieter than before. Next time I come up that way to visit my sis in Gloucester, I'll drive the MJ. Maybe you can find the time to look at it. I'll time it for one of the seafood festivals. And I'll bring the beer. :cheers:

If it was my rig I would check the basics first.

repack/replace all u-joints

check all streering components and grease.

check unit bearings for wear

Have tires rebalanced

check pinion angles, and make sure they are withinn acceptable limits

After all that.. you can still come over and drink a beer with me when you are in the area :D

.. damn come here's :roll:

Hey....I resemble that remark :D

Next time I come up that way to visit my sis in Gloucester, I'll drive the MJ. Maybe you can find the time to look at it. I'll time it for one of the seafood festivals. And I'll bring the beer. :cheers:

you dang well better holler the next time you're up this way.....and the beer's on us :cheers:

Jeff

If it was my rig I would check the basics first.

repack/replace all u-joints

check all streering components and grease.

check unit bearings for wear

Have tires rebalanced

check pinion angles, and make sure they are withinn acceptable limits

Alls been done, replaced and/or checked like three times, except for "check unit bearings for wear"?

Wheel bearings? Done. Pinion, carrier, bearings? All replaced with the rebuild kit when regearing. And am still 2WD :oops:

you dang well better holler the next time you're up this way.....and the beer's on us

Will holler Jeff-man. But I have to insist on buying the brew mates :cheers: jamminz.gif