Need new suspesion, maybe a small lift......

as some of you have read I am getting ready to do a bit of work to my 86 including a 4.0/5speed swap using an 87 manche donor.

My suspension needs attention as well, so I might as well do it at the same time. Everything is origional, except for stock replacement springs in the front, which I would like to continue using. I definetly need new rear springs as one broke and I welded it just to finish the winter last year.

As for what I need, I'm looking to have a level ride to the truck; the back is easily an inch lower now but that could be from the decrepit springs. I think a 1.5-2" lift would look nice, but I don't want to do that if it's going to kill the ride as this is my DD. And the truck doesn't see a ton of offroad usage, or any crazy stuff.

So what are your thoughts on what I should do? Anything that involves welding or fabrication is no problem.

Thanks,

Matt[/b]

XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ coil spacers come in two sizes: 3/4" and 1-3/4". For a daily driver, personally I would go with either XJ 4.0L springs and the 3/4" spacers, or if you stay with the springs in the truck now use the 1-3/4" spacers. Either way, you should end up just a little higher than stock. That's good for up through 31" tires, so why go higher if the truck lives on pavement? All unnecessary altitude does is kill the gas mileage.

For the rear, what spring broke -- a main leaf, or one of the other leaves? XJ spring packs are too short for the MJ by about 5" but you could cut the eyes off an XJ main leaf and use it as an AAL in an MJ pack. That's what I plan to do with the 89 longbed I picked up. I'm hoping it'll result in the equivalent of a metric tonne load capacity without much extra lift.

good luck with everything but if you are interested gixxerman600 has a complete stock suspension set front and rear out of a 1999 xj. He did a complete lift and removed everthing. just let me know and I will have him contact you.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need anything from that kind of rig.

XJ leafs won't work on an MJ and most XJs sit 1" lower than a 4x4 MJ so the coils wouldn't do any good either.

So XJ springs are of no use to me?

Either way, you should end up just a little higher than stock. That's good for up through 31" tires, so why go higher if the truck lives on pavement? All unnecessary altitude does is kill the gas mileage.

All I'm lookin for is a little height over stock. Does lift really affect gas mileage where I'll see a difference with a 3/4" spacer?

For the rear, what spring broke -- a main leaf, or one of the other leaves?

The main leaf, where it grabs the bushing in the front, so when I took the rear out it just swung down. I do haul stuff with this truck (firewood and sbf/c engines) so I would drop a little cash on a good set of springs. Drop shackles would work here for some lift? I have an 8.8" ford with the SUA setup so I'm actually a tad under stock height.

BTW thanks for all the help......I'll be sure to make a nice writeup when I do the truck so I can help out the next guy to do this :cheers:

I got under the donor truck today and the main leaves are still good. If I just use that spring pack and the chevy drop shackles I should be ok?

Yup. Should be good. Gas mileage won't be a noticable difference with a taller lift. It's mostly tires/gearing that will affect that.

Here's the Energy Suspension part numbers for their coil spacers available in black or red polyurethane:

1-3/4" Black -- 2.6102g

1-3/4" Red -- 2.6102r

3/4" Black -- 2.6103g

3/4" Red -- 2.6103r

Don't spend more than $40 on em.