HP D44 & 9" axles ???

I stopped by a local junk yard and picked up a '77 HP D44 front and a '79 9" rear axle. The price was right I couldn't pass it up. jamminz.gif

The front axle has 1/2" tubes , the welded on mounts and discs brakes. It also came with the radius arms and mounts.

I thinking about building a 3 link with a track bar, but I could always just stick with radius arms. I could also build it with the stock set-up but the mounts raised about 2.5". What do you think???

For steering I'll be going OTK and using a Grand Waggy pitman arm.

The rear axle is missing the drums, brakes and hardware. :roll:

So whats a good disk swap? I think there is a bolt on Explorer type available but I can't find it.

My plan is 5.13 gears, lockers and at some point alloy axles. :brows:

My max tire size will be QR78-15 Swampers. :chillin:

I just didn't want the weight and poor ride from the 1 ton axles. :nuts:

I have a '86 kingpin HP D60 held for me at a great prices so if anyone is interested let me know. :cheers:

I don't think anything but that you should get some chevy knuckles and do real high-steer.

Waggy pitman arm? The flat one? Hmm..

I was going to use a drop one. I'll be checking to see if a true high steer will clear. I've cutting my fenders for max suspension up-travel and I think there might be some clearance issues with the oil pan. A true high steer is also harder on the balljoints. My lift will be 6" maximum.

You'll have clearance issues between the TR ad DL before you do with the oil pan. At least, that's how my memory works. I've got a waggy drop arm and I hammer the DL at the pitman arm into the TR. I'd probably suggest running the high-steer under the arms before trying to run low steering over the arms. That's how my waggy axle was stock, and it didn't work so hot.

I don't think the extra stress on the ball-joints is going to be a huge issue, but that's up to you.

But, I might have to look at that again to get you a clearer answer. I have to look at mine again because it's screwed up.