rolling the windows

Has ne one ever drilled the rivets out of their door panels that hold the window regulator in? I was wondering this because when I roll my window down I hear what sounds like the extra part of the chain/cable rattle around inside my door... It drives me crazy!!!!! :mad:

Did you just replace the rivets with screws or what ?

Damnd if i drill out all these things to find I can't put bolts back on.....

I was thinking I could tac the bolts on the inside of the regulator then just bolt it back in...

another thing,, do you think I can buy the plastic cover from the dealer that fits between the door and inside panel???

1. yes, I've drilled them frequently. it's easy...just vacuum the inside of the door out afterwards.

2. you just put bolts in to replace the rivets...easy. don't tac them onto the regulator, you can fit your hand in there pretty easily.

3. no I haven't seen the plastec part sold...you're on your own, I just heat the edges with a heat gun (hair dryer works too) and peal it back. still stick afterwards so you don't even have to glue it back on...

1. yes, I've drilled them frequently. it's easy...just vacuum the inside of the door out afterwards.

2. you just put bolts in to replace the rivets...easy. don't tac them onto the regulator, you can fit your hand in there pretty easily.

3. no I haven't seen the plastec part sold...you're on your own, I just heat the edges with a heat gun (hair dryer works too) and peal it back. still stick afterwards so you don't even have to glue it back on...

opps....... :roll: I guess I should of practiced more ummm.. restraint...

ok good,,, I was hoping it wasn't a big deal.. off the top you know what size bolts you use ??

One more thing, is there a track the extra chain drive stores in while the window is down???

it's not a chain...more like a spiral...

yep, there's a rubber track that it's stored in.

bolts are 7/16". I use them with a flathead on one side and flange nuts on the other, it looks less halfass. stainless or galvanized..it does get moist in there.

if you end up needing a track I probably have a couple

it's not a chain...more like a spiral...

yep, there's a rubber track that it's stored in.

bolts are 7/16". I use them with a flathead on one side and flange nuts on the other, it looks less halfass. stainless or galvanized..it does get moist in there.

if you end up needing a track I probably have a couple

Cool, I didn't know what type of drive that thing used..

You know I didn't get to involved today but I do remember seeing a rubber hose at the bottom of the door.. First thought was it belonged to a drain or something.

The track works fine, but I'll keep that you have one in mind.

Thanks for the help!

Has ne one ever drilled the rivets out of their door panels that hold the window regulator in? I was wondering this because when I roll my window down I hear what sounds like the extra part of the chain/cable rattle around inside my door... It drives me crazy!!!!! :mad:

Did you just replace the rivets with screws or what ?

Damnd if i drill out all these things to find I can't put bolts back on.....

I was thinking I could tac the bolts on the inside of the regulator then just bolt it back in...

another thing,, do you think I can buy the plastic cover from the dealer that fits between the door and inside panel???

It really helps a save wear and tear on your drill bits if you drive the hard steel rivet center pin out with a drift punch before drilling out the rivets. Then replace the rivets when bolting in your new regulator with 1/4x20x1/2" long s/s bolts.

do you think I can buy the plastic cover from the dealer that fits between the door and inside panel???

Unless you are doing an "original" restoration, you can simply use some Vis-Clean or any other heavy mil. plastic as a barrier.

do you think I can buy the plastic cover from the dealer that fits between the door and inside panel???

Unless you are doing an "original" restoration, you can simply use some Vis-Clean or any other heavy mil. plastic as a barrier.

Yeah I have done that before but it never was as good as factory. What would you use to keep it stuck there?