4x4 problem

went to put the mj in 4x4 this morning and nothing. the light didnt come on, the front wasnt locked in. the wierd thing is, when i put it in low, the gears changed in the rear. it felt like i was in 4low, but no 4wd. :headpop:

i just bought the mj, and love it. hope i can fix it.

any help would be greatly appriciated, couldnt find anything in search.

went to put the mj in 4x4 this morning and nothing. the light didnt come on, the front wasnt locked in. the wierd thing is, when i put it in low, the gears changed in the rear. it felt like i was in 4low, but no 4wd. :headpop:

i just bought the mj, and love it. hope i can fix it.

any help would be greatly appriciated, couldnt find anything in search.

Just so you know, when you put the truck into 4 low, the gears in the axles don't change. There's a reduction unit in the transfer case, which is mounted to the back of the transmission. Gearing in your axles is one ratio, all the time.

So, essentially, the reduction will go to the back, and to the front equally, as for your not being in 4wd, that does sound like the axle disconnect is not engaging. Like you said in your other post, once you get the vacuum problem fixed, you should be fine.

thanks guys :oops: I'm learning so much lately, my brian is in overload. so you guys want to hear a good one?

i picked up my new power steering pump today. i got home and started tearing into it. first, i start undoing bolts on the alternator thinking it would loosen the belt. i finally figured out the bolts for the belt are by the power steering pump. so i got the pump out and plugged the hoses so no crap got in there. here's the kicker. i rented a pulley puller to get the pulley off. well i look in the shaft and see a allen head in there. i think i have to take a bolt out to get the pulley off. i don't have a 3/8 allen head so i got to the parts store and buy one. i couldnt for the life of me get it to break loose. so i broke the pulley. i went back to the parts store and ordered a new pulley and returned the pulley puller. so I'm still trying to figure out how to get the bolt out. the guy ends up selling me a pulley puller, which at the time i thought would help me get the bolt out. i got home and started messing with it all. and a big LIGHT came on. son of a bioch if i didnt feel stupid. i pulled the broken pulley off (just because i could) and put everything away. i should have my new pulley on tomorrow

so, now i have to figure out how to get the new one on without hammering it on. i should have just taken it to someone. i think its so cool that you guys can fix your own stuff.(':bowdown:') i figure if i keep messing i may someday know what I'm doing. its going to be a long road. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

No one said that we're always successful with the first round of repairs. ;) I snapped off one of the steering box bolts when I wanted to install my custom front bumper and use 2 of the 3. Then I had to drain the box and drop it out of the truck in order to try and remove the broken bits of bolt. A 2 minute job became a 2 day job.

In my opinion the best money you can spend on your truck is a factory shop manual. :thumbsup: They can be found on ebay.

thanks for the diagram. I'm going to need it. i put the vacuum switch in today and nothing. ill wait til next week as I'm headed to hungry valley on saturday to do some wheelin. i got my power steering pump installed today. no major problems, just tightened the belt to tight so i got some knocking sound out of a pulley. loosened it up and everything is fine. I'm on the road to being a wrencher jamminz.gif

thanks for the diagram. I'm going to need it. i put the vacuum switch in today and nothing. ill wait til next week as I'm headed to hungry valley on saturday to do some wheelin. i got my power steering pump installed today. no major problems, just tightened the belt to tight so i got some knocking sound out of a pulley. loosened it up and everything is fine. I'm on the road to being a wrencher jamminz.gif

to tighten the belt i usually tighten her until its not easy to get the belt to twist 90* on the longest stretch (there on the top easy to see) just tighten so it can twist striaght up and down but not much further

its worked so far for me ;) don't think its real exact though