Carbed 87 Comanche RENIX 4.0

I haven't seen many write-ups on putting a carburetor on the Renix 4.0, now there is a good reason for this also.  The EFI system is decently reliable and gets good gas mileage being maintained by the computer.  It is also cheaper to maintain the EFI system than buying all the parts for the swap over.  However, when there is no computer and cut wiring (I'm old school and like hot rods and custom engine upgrades) what is the next best option?  Put a carburetor on it of course.  I know this sounds like a silly idea, but I'm determined.  This will require you to only need minimal wiring (I'm not an electrician so I enjoy this idea.) I have the HEI distributor with coil, a 2 barrel carburetor adapter (I 3D printed mine with special filament) a 2 barrel carburetor, and a small electric fuel pump.  In theory, you only need 2 toggle switches and a push button or key start switch (that is if you no longer want/need air conditioning or heat.) I plan on putting the whole system together this upcoming weekend as the weather will be about 70 and sunny as opposed to 40 and cloudy.  My only fear is that the transmission will no longer shift itself either since there is no computer to control it with RPM.  The 2 barrel carburetor is believed to have been off an 80's Ford, not sure of the CFM but it's one of the "Motorcraft Variable Venturi" models.  I paid 10 bucks for it so we will see how it'll run.  But I'll give it a shot.  This truck is put together in pieces with absolutely no interior.  The parts I acquired for my restoration on my 87 Pioneer so they'll be going on there, and I figured why not try them on this truck.  I can always buy another set of parts later down the road.  I like the idea of this barebones setup, and I'm old school so I'd enjoy the challenge.

IMG_5842.PNG

IMG_5847.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 4:46 PM, kaidenlem said:

I plan on putting the whole system together this upcoming weekend as the weather will be about 70 and sunny as opposed to 40 and cloudy

Were you able to get the system put together.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, MiNi Beast said:

well, i like simple. keep us updated. :L:

Will definitely try.  Been busy with school and work but I'll get some time off here soon.

11 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Were you able to get the system put together.

Not yet, I had an event come up that weekend and wasn't able to work on it.  I'm also looking into a junkyard v8 or Mercedes diesel swap.