Gas tank/pump compatability

Mitch wants to buy the gas tank from my 1986 2.8L MJ. I believe that the fuel pumps are different between carb'd and EFI motors...no? If this is the case, can he take his working pump out of his leaky tank, and stick it in the tank that I'm giving him?

Thanks. :chillin:

OK i just done all this research.. Bare with me here.

ALL tanks are the same if the size is equal.

The pumps are different BUT the will interchange. the sender or all the hardlines stuff is differnt on some tanks but the pump itself will swap between all of them (YJ XJ MJ and maybe even ZJ) I am running a YJ pump from a 91 on my MJ with my STcok pump and sender. Just use the part to bolt the pump on the sender off of the pump thats going in and that wil relocate the bolt hole to line up. Good luck and sorry i didnt see this post sooner.

Cole

Cole are you saying that the tank (so long as the gallons are the same as my current one) should bolt right up? I understand that I will have to swap the internals. I am just wondering if I can put the tank twisty has in the stock location on my truck without extra fabrication.

Sorry to ask the same questions over....

Cole are you saying that the tank (so long as the gallons are the same as my current one) should bolt right up? I understand that I will have to swap the internals. I am just wondering if I can put the tank twisty has in the stock location on my truck without extra fabrication.

Sorry to ask the same questions over....

problem is you're getting a longbed tank, as its an 86, and if you have a longbed thats just peachy... but if you have a shortbed it might not clear the axle and other stuff like that. so they were sayin if you have a small tank from a longbed it MIGHt fit there.

I did plan on putting it into the bed origionally, but I am now realizing that I use the bed entirely too much to do that.... so unfortunately I have to put it back in the stock location, which means I will have to buy some skid plates for it now....

Thanks Tim, I will pm you on our club forum.

:)