1986 Comanche X: Papago

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks y'all, the words of encouragement are appreciated.

I ordered all the parts I should need on Tuesday to get the cooling system up to par and avoid any further problems. They should be here next week.

While I am waiting, I started disassembling the truck in preparation. It went fairly smooth, aside from two studs trying to come out of the evap box. The nuts came off in the end, after the use of vice grips, a few curse words, and the urge to throw something. :furious3:

One part the manual did not make clear was having to remove the dash; the wording could have been better. Luckily, the forums made it more clear. II have had about enough today though, so attempting to pull the dash without breaking it in half is for tomorrow perhaps.

Got the chance to continue working on the truck today. I think it was a lesson in the accuracy of aftermarket parts. The blower motor resistors they sell are not for A/C vehicles I believe; they are missing a pin. While I do not have A/C right now, I would like to to add it back in the future, as the truck came with it. That makes my new one garbage.

The OSC radiator I bought also does not fit, due to the design of the brackets that hold pieces on. The bolts holding them on stick out too far and hit the frame rail. Luckily, Crown makes an all metal one designed like the OEM version, and it is a two row. Gonna order that one up when I get a chance.

I did manage to get the evap box out today, and the heater core. However, I ended up tearing the foam the heater core and A/C lines go through to the engine bay. I highly doubt anyone makes it anymore, but if anyone knows where to get some, I would love to know.

Happy with the progress today, but disappointed that I will not have it running by the end of the weekend. I am patient, but as Eddard Stark said, winter is coming, and I need my truck.

qtJhJwB.jpeg

On 9/23/2021 at 6:19 PM, Pete M said:

you can't be the first to rip one.  I would post up in Tech so more eyeballs will see it. :L:  I'm sure someone has ideas.

Good advice, I have a lead on an idea now.

Decided to take a step back on the cooling system for the weekend and do something else. I had new rubber trim laying around, as well as a pair of vented windows I have been meaning to install. Now was as good a time as any.

iDXugo2.jpeg

GZ5ACrS.jpeg

fkfshf7.jpeg

2DIEei5.jpeg

Removal and install was pretty straightforward. Need to lube the rotating assembly for the window, otherwise it works great. I did not realize right away there is a little button that locks the knob when it closes. Pretty cool.

I also removed what is likely the original speaker, since it is essentially dead weight. At least the magnet still works.

D290igN.jpeg

I will have to do the same to the other door when I get time. Currently debating on actually doing the open cooling system upgrade, since the first radiator does not want to fit. Still undecided.