Rear frame swap

Who has cut off and swapped rear frames from the csb back?

I know what they look like, ive aquired 2 rear frames and built 2 trailers. But never cut one off the truck.

I've got 2 trucks to choose from i think. (Both parted out and beat to $#!&)

Was just wondering if anybody had experience cutting them and welding them to their good cabs.

This is why i need some answers...

This is my 91 with the cummins in it. Swapping frames would keep me from having to find another good truck and Swapping everything to it snd then having to get it all painted.

fee2fc61920e462b6ea0c7be7ed09e13.jpg46ac305879ada6b743f1bfd2dc9401d0.jpgeb90e2af2dfc3b293863b47d7bd98fb6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not the whole frame but I've worked on cut and shortened frames.

Best thing to do is to weld on temporary reinforcement bars on the parts you are going to keep.  That keeps them aligned so they can go together easier and have a better chance to be straight.  Once you've got the frame welded up, the bars get cut off.

Get measurements before hand.  Lots of them.  Measure distances to fixed points like suspension mounting points.  Measure the angles (top and side) on both sides of the cuts so you can get it back together straight.  Measure diagonally to ensure you're square.  The more measurements you have, the better the finished product will turn out.

Make sleeves for the weld point for extra strength.  Either that or butt weld the pieces and then weld on reinforcement plates around the outside covering the joints.  You want the joints to be stronger than the factory metal.

Just like a paint job, the prep work takes 90% of the time and makes all the difference.