New Guy, New Project

Howdy Gang.  I am new to the site, and very happy to have found it.  I have inherited an 88 Comanche Chief from a buddy who lost his battle with cancer in June.

Over Labor Day, my daughter and I will fly to Seattle from Kansas, have a maintenance day and then do a roadkill trip to get it back to Kansas.  Although it has moss all over it now from sitting, It should be pretty decent coming from up there.  My buddy and his wife have had it since it was new.  It currently sports a small lift (maybe Black Diamond or Rub Exp), I don't remember for sure.  We talked for many years of the build he wanted to do on it but never got done.  So I will now do that and more.  

The plan (in my head...so far) for the build will have some cues from the Zone and JCR projects with a little Mike Patey (Airplane builder, racer) touch thrown in.  My business is in Agricultural Engineering and my Fab & Test shop includes the basics, plus the nicety of a plasma table.  Just missing a hoist, but right now the table has a Hypertherm upgrade in the works, so a hoist will have to wait and my Harbor Freight Jackstands will stay in use.

We are getting ready to start a repower/modernization project on a 48 Willy's truck right after Labor Day, so the moss wagon will be relegated to shop truck duty for now. 

We have started collecting parts.  We scored a 14 bolt axle in good shape for $129 at a local yard.  I have also found a rubicon T-case in town for a decent price.  I would really like to do a BMW M57 diesel swap, but that will depend on much stiffening and some good fortune i finding the right wrecked car to get the necessary parts.  Anyway, all of that is for a later discussion.  Oh yeah, we suspect the tailgate is buried in his garage somewhere, and it will come with the original sportbar.

Here are some pics of the so far...

10736.jpeg

10735.jpeg

10734.jpeg

axle.jpg