On Board Air question

This may be different in the different areas, but in general, what's the rules on having tanks tested as far as time and whatever? I just heard that California made it illegal to refill tanks that have been painted too.

:mad: Figures. I just painted mine when I painted the rest of my parts. It came out nice too.

Each tank has a date, and 5 years from that date, it has to be tested. However to the best of my knowledge, this is only for company owned tanks (like you rent them). The supply company is under federal regulations to have these bottles hydrostatic tested a minimum of every 5 years.

However if you own your tank, I do not believe it has to be tested as your the one liable for it. Some supply places however may not fill it if it wasn't tested, others could care less...

I do not know about the tank paint law in Cali. Once again I would assume that if you own your own tank you are the reliable one, so the law would apply to a supplier.

Each tank has a date, and 5 years from that date, it has to be tested. However to the best of my knowledge, this is only for company owned tanks (like you rent them). The supply company is under federal regulations to have these bottles hydrostatic tested a minimum of every 5 years.

However if you own your tank, I do not believe it has to be tested as your the one liable for it. Some supply places however may not fill it if it wasn't tested, others could care less...

I do not know about the tank paint law in Cali. Once again I would assume that if you own your own tank you are the reliable one, so the law would apply to a supplier.

This rule applys to private own tanks also, just went thru it with my oxygen tank, and it cost me $$$ I'm thinking that the last "5 year" period was a star (*) Each mark on the top of the tank represent each 5 year period.

I changed gas supplyers and all of there tanks are painted, with owner tanks having a "white" band painted at the top :dunno:

Thanx all. I got the tank for free so I guess I'm ahead no matter what. The tank is stamped '93 (then letters) and under that is 98 (and different letters) and nothing else except CCM on the bottom and "Carbo Mix" on the shoulder. Heck, it seems to be full already. I might not need anything for a while. What kinds of places are good for CO2 refills? Restaurant supply or welding? This is a 20 pounder.