From the woods - 1989 Basket Case

Well I've been busy, I was finally able to figure out the weird alignment of my dash (it wasn't attached to the steering column properly) so now I put my dash back together with a new to me dash insert and 92 clock! I also cleaned up an ugly switch situation, little improvements!

Dash-driver_view.jpg.bf3e891d7b30eaafe3b4d9ba4bac6839.jpg

Dash-driver_door-view.jpg.3b0e54c37c7930763babfabf9f365c5b.jpg

Dash-wheel_view.jpg.941bb49f298268031cf6816ba2d8ab37.jpg

Dash-passenger_view.jpg.5f6111db8c4280c61543f4f906d491b8.jpg

Dash-passenger_view-door.jpg.3e485ce30e87cb798230af806a310bbe.jpg

Since my cab is now "sealed" (at least it doesn't leak constantly) I plan to buy a rubber floor "carpet" to cover up the uglies.

I also found a new to me shifter cover without rips! as well as a bracket to support the passenger side of the center console near the shifter. Since my transmission isn't the stock one, the original support didn't fit. However, I found a slightly different version of the bracket at the local junk yard so now it's firmly attached and ready for "carpet" !

Still need to get a better match on the paint for the lower dash, all in good time!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christmas at Rockauto and Ebay!

RA:

Radiator, Hoses, aux fan, water pump, idler puller, power steering hoses, rubber floor mat!

Ebay:

Driver side; Burgundy door skins, window crank, hockey puck arm rest/door handle, fan shroud

Next up:

West Texas Offroad steering box/ram

My ship came in so ole Jeepy is getting some much-needed upgrades/restoration

Where it sits today (p.s. I got the grill in right side up, for an hour ha ha ha)

Let-it-all-begin.jpg.46e0695a41fac8c087786bf0045f42dd.jpg

Grill B gone!

Let-it-all-begin-2.jpg.35fb882def553fd9f92a52e5f6e30d96.jpg

Today I plan on draining and pulling the radiator. After that I will start working on measuring my steering throw so I can get the steering ram ordered.

BTW these are things on my needs/wants list. I have decided to go with the redneck ram (RR) early in the game because before my Scrambler went full trailer queen I had death wobbles big time (Dana 44 front with used, bias ply Super swampers) after trying numerous solutions I ended up adding the RR system and all the issues went away.

Currently I don't have death wobs, but my steering box sector shaft seal finally went out (just sitting there in the garage) and I have oversized tires and an old frame of which I won't know the condition of until I get the steering box off. So rather than spend money with steering box braces and brackets I figured I'd just move the stress off of the frame and down to the axle and tie rod. I'll take pics along the way. the RR conversion will be phased, first phase will be just get the steering box out, sent down to RR for a rebuild and port, then back into the Jeep. After that I'll install the ram. I am not sure if I'm going to reuse my stock tie rod or get a hd one or do a high steering setup first. I guess that depends on the condition of my frame at the steering box.

I hope to have all this stuff done before the end of winter. Projects are fun! 

I got all the old parts that are being replaced off the MJ yesterday, come on Fed-Ex bring me gifts!

:holdwrench:

Leaking steering box ready to pack up and ship!

ready-for-texas.jpg.b2907320e6c762a1b95ddb5cfb95ffd0.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find NO CRACKS at the steering box mount, win!

no-cracks.jpg.9a347971b10916abd0483f3ad3889c3d.jpg

Front is pulled apart, ready for newness!

ready-for-santa.jpg.c54ec62b0bd11e898186333ae9721771.jpg

Oh I discovered why my aux fan wasn't coming on automatically, one of the sensor wires is almost cut through, gotta fix that gig!

Wifey and I also went to Ben Frankin craft store where I bought some non-felty flannel and adhesive for recovering my headliner, this thing is going to look great with all the interior in and matching!